WANTED: Hazelnut tree(filberts?) for coastal location

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by srtallio, May 30, 2009.

1. srtallio

srtallio Member

hay, i'm in bella coola, which is a bit up north and about halfways up the coast of british columbia...I'm looking for fruiting, producing hazelnut trees(like what you see in chocolate bars or in shell at xmas...not filberts or whatever they might be called) which will do well in my area. Technically, this forum is for trading, so we can discuss details after if I don't have something you're looking for(I'm not a large-scale operator with a variety of plants to trade, and i dunno if tha definition of trading is limited to plants or if other goods like home-smoked salmon are a consideration, lol); Thanx...c'ya!
    -
    Sina(Rob) Tallio

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Geographically the best option would be Hazel plants derived from the far NW of the species' range in Scotland or Norway, where climate conditions are most like yours. How easy they will be to get, I don't know. Most of the widely available cultivars originate from much further south in Europe and may not produce well for you. Filberts are from southeast Europe, and even less likely to be successful.

3. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Hey srtallio, my wife is from Hazelton in NW BC and they grow wild up there, if you plan a trip there I'm sure you could scoop a lot of seedlings and give them a shot, it's not a huge stretch to think they might be happy in your environment. On the other hand here on the island lot's of different varieties seem to do fine so perhaps you can just get any trees for the coast here and they'll do well up there.

4. srtallio

srtallio Member

In Hazelton? Really? Nice! Are they fruit-bearing as well that far north? Or are their nuts just for show? I haven't been up there since b4 i became interested in plants, so I have no recollection of seeing them or etc...just curious; :).

5. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    My wife says she ate them all the time as a kid. Hazelton is named after them though she says there are more of them growing around Kitwanga outside of Hazelton.

They are a native plant and they grow back east in much colder zones. I bet some of those native ones would do very well where you are if the greater humidity where you are isn't adverse for them.

Apparently they were quite useful to the natives:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=WM...vNXmDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8

6. srtallio

srtallio Member

Awesum...! Thnx 4 tha info, :D! I'm def gonna check it out...i kno' sum ppl who kno sum ppl, etc. lol...thnx again!

7. fern2

fern2 Active Member

if you can figure out a safe & inexpensive way to ship'em, I'd be happy to send you some of the many many hazelnut seedlings growing in my garden. I couldn't tell you which species it is but the squirrels & jays LOVE its nuts. And, as evidenced by the sprouting nuts that've been carefully hidden around the property, the nuts are clearly viable (altho I couldn't tell you how they taste as I've never tried to eat them).

Who knows if they'd survive up your way but, if you're still looking & are willing to take a gamble, then let me know. I've got looooooots of stray hazelnut, oak, & hawthorn trees right now ;)