Hylocereus Undatus (Dragon Fruit) Questions

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BitterSweet, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

Hello! Despite the numerous webpages I've looked through about this plant, I haven't been able to get any consistent information on it's care. Some places say it likes damp soil, while others say it's a cactus and it should only rarely be watered. Does anybody here have any specific experience with this plant? Any information you've heard through the grapevine that you trust? What should I expect? What would the best material be for it to climb? I own a little one in a 2.5" pot and want to give it the best care I can. Thanks to anyone who has some input!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's a tropical rainforest cactus, native to my neck of the woods. Free-draining soils and regular watering are key. Once it gets bigger (this will be several years), 2x4 supports will become key.

3. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i have one growing on privacy fence near my front door and water like once a week it did just flower one bloom but did not set a fruit. it has been in the same spot for a year and is only in a one gal pot but does not have any roots hanging out of the pot it rooted to the fence and has been climbing it so maybe once it starts climbing it does not concentrat to much on soil roots. i have some sort of cereus it was a rootstock sucker from one of the grafted color cactus you see in the nurserys i planted it in the a 3 gal pot and had a piece of wood i let it run on i may end up trying to use it as a rootstock for the two varietys of dragon fruit i have because they donot grow well on there own roots in my yard for some reason unless they are in a pot and not in the soil. i planted one piece of the roostock near a tree and it already growing up into an oak tree and rarely water it heres a few pics one of the rootstock and the other two of the selenicereus

Attached Files:

4. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

your varying info is probably because they live in both dry and wet conditions. here we have HEAVY HEAVY rain/floods for most of the summer....we may see 20+cm a day for a month straight, and they love it. winter wont see a drop for 3 months, and they live through ti just fine. they grow in sand, pots, clay, garbage, lowlands, mountains pretty hardy plants.

the only 2 things i have seen they DON'T take is freezing and sudden full sun. they are grown in full sun fine, but if you have a plant inside (or a cutting) then move it into full sun right away, it burns them super fast and they can dry out within a couple days and die. other than that, easy as pie :)

liek lorax says, supports will be needed. they also grow up trees/poles/walls just fine

5. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

=) Thanks everyone, I think that's all I needed. I'll post pictures when my camera gets up and running again.