Tree fungus problem

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by foynnie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. foynnie

foynnie Member

We recently moved to a new house and have a large tree in thegarden which produced beautiful pink flowers about 4 weeks ago. When the flowers died we did some pruning of it's neighbour trees and cut a few of the smaller branches of that tree too for the safety of our children. Unfortunately it has in the last two weeks become ill. The leaves at the top half of the tree look like they would in Autumn - going brown and curling and there is a white fungus growing on all the knobbly/knotty bits. The fungus has tiny yellow dots in - almost like sap. Is there anything I can do to fix this. I have no idea what tree it is - possibly a cherry but could be very wrong - would hate to lose it though as it is stunning. Help please. Thanks.

2. WickedWon

WickedWon Member

Sounds like rust. It's a fungi and can be killed with a fungicide. Don't spray water on it!! it will just make it worse and will spread. Go to the store and find fungicide that will take care of the rust. READ ALL label be for buying. I just bought Garden Sulphur Fungicide Miticide works well comes in powder and can be used as a spray. And has many uses other then taking care of your rust.
    When you prune a tree wait till It's done blooming. or do it early spring befor it buds.