Morning Glory

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by JJVG, Jun 18, 2009.

1. JJVG

JJVG Member

I have some morning glory that I planted from a seed pack and and what appears to be morning glory growing in some places where I didn't plant seed this year, but there was some plants in that area last year. I want to be sure they aren't wild vines. How can I tell, before they spread to far and are the unwanted type?

2. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

I'm not sure. Do the leaves look any different or anything?

3. JJVG

JJVG Member

The leafs look the same or are a very close match. The only difference I noticed is, the one's I planted from seed, when they first sprouted the first two leafs had a H shape and the rest of the leafs since have the traditional heart shape. I did not notice the H shape on the plants in question.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The locally pestiferous morning glory has white, stringy creeping roots (that can be used as a pasta substitute). When you pull at the stems these roots come partly out of the ground, then break off.

5. JJVG

JJVG Member

I have pulled out some of the vines. the plants are still small and the ground well cultivated so the roots fallow the plat out quite easily. Another question, why when their has never before been a sign of these vines in my area, where do they come from?

6. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

Could be anything - birds, wind, etc. bringing the seeds in. Something in compost, a neighbour's yard. <shrug>