Where can I get Angel Trumpet

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Madi, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Madi

Madi Member

Hi Friends
    I have just recently seen an Angel Trumpet and would really love to know where I can get one (or some - different colors) from. I am in Nanaimo. Thank you, Madilynn

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

there are a few different flowering plants that have that 'common' name. is the plant you want a tree, a vine or a bush?

are the flowers fragrant? are they large in size and do they hang down or face up?

if it's the vine that you want, then the flower particulars don't apply...

3. Madi

Madi Member

Hi Joclyn
    THe plant I am looking for is a tree shape with long trumpet shaped flowers, either pink, yellow or white and the flowers (which hang down) are very fragrant. I believe the botanical name is Brugmansia spp.
    Thanks, Madi

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yup, that's description is brugmansia!! most are very fragrant, too!!

sorry i can't help with suppliers, wrong side of the border.

5. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

There is a wonderful breeder/grower in Deep Cove, Brugmansias Etc.:

http://www.brugmansiasetc.com/

I have bought a few bruggies from her and they were great...and a visit to her garden is well worth it!

6. Madi

Madi Member

Thank you WW. I will check out this site. Have a wonderful Sunday

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Did you find one? I'm in Lantzville if you're still searching.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

8. Madi

Madi Member

Hi Barrie
    I have checked out the site from Van but was hoping to find one locally...like Lantzville :) Do you have them for sale?
    Thanks, Madilynn

9. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

The last one I have is a yellow flowering variety (very fragrant in the late afternoon and evening).
    It's main stem hasn't yet forked, but when it does, blooms will follow. This one stands a bit less than 4' tall.

I've left you a PM.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie).

Attached Files:

10. Madi

Madi Member

As you will see by my multiple replys I am new to this site and not sure I have replied so just in case you did not get the PM message, I would like to have this plant.

11. whiteruud

whiteruud Member

I just got a beautiful "Angel Trumpet" from a friend who grows them if your interested call Melvin 778 241 4163 ,he does it as a hobby but will sell to people who ask.If you want a picture of the one I got send me your e-mail and I will forward you it,today it has eight lovely yellow trumpets flowering,I love it.

12. whiteruud

whiteruud Member

Here is a picture of my Angel Trumpet

Attached Files:

13. Madi

Madi Member

Thank you. I found a lovely one from a local guy here and it to is blooming. Aren't they the most beautiful!! I am so thrilled with it! Have a wonderful summer!

14. whiteruud

whiteruud Member

Remember to break off the flowers when they wither and feed the plant to keep the blooms coming - Enjoy

15. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I am still looking for a cutting from a Charles Grimaldi if anyone will have one at the end of the summer!

16. aussie orchids

aussie orchids Member

hi,
    I have a few plants for sale Brugmansia or Angel Trumpets 4 feet tall and flowering
    have Yellow and Salmon Pink Colour.Call me 778 241 4163 if you are interested
    I am in the Cloverdale ,Surrey BC

17. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hi WesternWilson,

We have 3 Brugmansia's, but we do not know what variety they are. We take cuttings all the time for people that enjoy them as we do.
    We have one that they flower hang at a 45 degree angle to start and finish perpendicular to the ground when finishing. It is white with pink on the edge and finishes a light salmon color.
    One is yellow to start and darkens to a orange when finishing. This one flowers hang perpencicular start to finish.
    The other starts out a pale orange and deepens in color as it finishes. Flowers perpendicular to ground.
    I was questioned on the color of the first one listed when we gave one to a friend.
    They called it Salmon. I find that it opens white in the throat and pink on the edges, then turns a darder color pink or salmon, I quess. This particular one is my favortie as I love the fragrance from it. Possibly as it is at the front door and I smell it when I go by.
    The others are fragrant aswell, but in the back.
    The orange one seems to flower guite late in the season. Flower just coming on it now.
    The two (Salmon and Orange are about 7 - 8ft, excluding the pot).
    I looked on a website and see that Charles Grimaldi is orange, I believe?
    This is probably of no use to you, but we take cuttings all the time. Not knowing the variety by name is not helpful.

18. whiteruud

whiteruud Member

The one we have is yellow - we are getting holes in some of leaves by some bug,any ideas how to deal with this in an enviro freindly way?

19. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello,
    We have not had too much of a problem with bugs, but I believe that you are probably seeing earwig damage? You can put a pot filled with moist hay or straw, upside down on top of the soil. It can sit on he soil or have it raised up a bit on a stake. The earwigs will go inside this during the day. In the morning take the pot, over a garbage bag/can and empty contents of pot.
    If does not work check for earwigs and remove. They will go into the upper most leaves (small ones at top) and hide there during the day. You can get these sticky tapes, (yellow) that you can circle around the trunk of plant. Anything that crawles over it will stick to it. They are not to be toxic.
    Hope this helps.

20. whiteruud

whiteruud Member

Thank you for the tip,I'll give it a try -