Aphids

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by violeta, Jun 2, 2009.

1. violeta

violeta Member

It started three years ago: aphids infestation. I used soapy solution, Safer, End All. I bought lady bugs (two bags) and released them in the garden (watered everything prior, etc). I had a company do a deep root fertilizing on all my trees and bushes, I put mulch around them to keep moisture in. Nothing worked. There were so many aphids that I could not see the back of the leaves: they were covered solid in black aphids (cherry tree, apple tree, nasturtiums) or green aphids (plum tree, roses, viburnum). Last year I had aphids on the chive and the yucca plant. I stopped planting nasturtiums even though I love them. I hoped that this past winter killed the aphids eggs - no such luck: the aphids are back and I am getting desperate.
    I read about aphidoletes as natural predators and would like to try but I can not find a place to buy from. Does anybody know where I can buy aphidoletes? I am a step away from resorting to nasty chemicals.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. theredben

theredben Active Member

Couple of things here:

1 - Fertilizing will not prevent aphids, just makes your plants nicer.
    2 - Aphids are probably not laying eggs to overwinter.
    3 - Stuff like Roses and Cherry of Apple trees are just about gaurenteed to get aphids, not a lot you can do.
    4 - Aphidoletes will probably not work for you, not really suited for control at this stage in the game.
    5 - Do you have any plants producing pollen/nectar right now? Nectar is a great way to attract natural predators for free.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

just spray with the hose - that will get rid of them temporarily. you could also buy lady bugs and release them near the plants that have the aphids...lb's LOVE aphids. again, that's just a temporary measure though.

i usually just let the natural predators do their thing without interfering by spraying chemicals (which kill the aphids and the lb's and other things that eat the aphids) and then i spray with the hose for the couple weeks that they're at their worst. after a couple weeks in spring, they aren't an issue any more.

4. WickedWon

WickedWon Member

Your ants are harvesting your Aphids for honeydew (food) And will kill anything that tries to eat them exp. ladybugs and so on.
    I live up north and the ants are the only thing that pollinates the tree so I don't kill the ants.
    I use Bayer's Advanced Tree & Shrub Insect Control. Or use stuff with Imidacloprid.
    You spray the bottom of the tree and the roots suck it up and kills the aphids.
    I have cherry trees for beauty and I use the seeds to plant more trees.
    I don't eat them yet.
    But I need the ants and the aphids are everywhere. Later on I'll go organic but for now I found this is the best way to deal with them, to make sure they never come back.
    To do it organic you have to get rid of ALL ants in area. Then use natural products. and have other things pollinate your cherries. But ants help kill lots of caterpillars and other nasty bugs that will kill your plant.
    I would use chemicals to help and ladybugs and other good bugs wont die from chemicals the next year because there will be no aphids to feed on. And your good ants can live.

Just wondering something.
    If you cut off all the cherries on your tree will it make the tree limbs grow more?

5. ssi gardener

ssi gardener Active Member

Hi Violeta, One step away from nasty chemicals? Then give it just one more try without. Put Tanglefoot around the trunks of your trees. This will bar the ants. It works, I use it. Then spray your plants with a solution of baking powder (sodium bicarbonate), water and a squirt of green soap. Yes, I use it, as do others. It will not get rid of the little pests permanently. None of us have figured that one out yet. You will have to spray again when they reappear and they will. Also, refer to the thread here in Pest Management, 'Sodium bicarbonate to protect leaves from parasites--Guidoeg'. It should encourage you. Hope you have success :-) Lynetta

6. WickedWon

WickedWon Member

I don't like over water the plants because you are helping fungi and rust when you do water the whole plant and will make more problems then it solves.

7. ssi gardener

ssi gardener Active Member

Hi Violetta, a couple more thoughts on aphids. Ants are not the only purveyors of aphids. I have seen green aphids with wings, and they can also be carried by the wind as are many other tiny insects and fungi. Don't worry about the ants being done in by Tanglefoot. They simply will not cross the barrier of a band of this non-toxic sticky medium. I myself would not use imidaclorprid, as it is a systemic, which means every part of the plant takes up this chemical through roots and leaves and is suffused with it. Chewing insects eat the plant and die from this neuro-toxin. It has been implicated in the problem of bee colony collapse disorder, and of affecting birds which may eat the seeds. Google imidaclorprid and see what you come up with. Lynetta