unknown perennial

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jetred, Jul 3, 2005.

1. jetred

jetred Member

Could someone help me identify this perennial. It is similar to achillea but doesn't seem to match the achillea I have. Zone 3a Manitoba. Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe Filipendula

3. jetred

jetred Member

What type of Filipendula could it be? I have "variegata" and it is not similar.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd like to see it in flower, when that occurs (I'm imagining a lot of plants are just sitting there doing not much with all the recent rains in Manitoba)

5. jetred

jetred Member

You are right. It is just doing nothing right now will all the rain we have had. My perennials are growing rampantly but flowering little.

Do you think it might be Filpendula vulgaris? I was looking around the internet at some of the different Filpendulas and this one looks similar according to the leaf. No mention of this species in any of my perennial books. I don't think it has ever bloomed as it is in rather a semi-shady spot. I have had it for a couple of years at least.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a pretty good possibility.