unidentified rose

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by eric_r, Jun 14, 2009.

1. eric_r

eric_r Active Member 10 Years

We got a very slender cutting of a rosebush from some people almost two years ago. They didn't know the variety: it appears to be a climber or rambler of some kind with single white flowers that appear in bunches. It's taken until now to get the cutting to the size shown in the attached photo, which shows one flower opened.

The flowers somewhat resemble a Kiftsgate, but the centres are a little different, the leaves have a red tinge at the edge, and the growing habit seems to be different from a Kiftsgate.

Can anyone identify what type of rose this is?

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks something like 'Wedding Day', but not sure.

3. eric_r

Thanks for the reply, Chimera.

Looking at photos of "Wedding Day" on the internet, there is a similarity to this rose, but I'm not sure either. The centres of the flowers look larger on Wedding Day.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Whatever it is, it gets blackspot. If that is not a deterrent plant it out and try to identify it after it is more developed.

If it is not known to have been acquired as a named variety by the party planting the specimen your cutting came from then it is always possible it is an unnamed seedling.

5. eric_r

Thanks, Ron.

My wife just reminded me that the people we got the cutting from had told her that they had found it in a ditch somewhere, so that does seem to fit with the possibility that it is an unnamed seedling.

I think we'll try planting it out, live with the blackspot, and I'll post another photo after it grows more (next spring?).

6. Ron B

"In a ditch" definitely implies it not being a named selection. However, certain named, very horticultural-looking roses like 'Dorothy Perkins' can be seen in all kinds of situations outside of gardens in this region. Hard to believe every one of these is left from an old planting.

7. BigBadDad

BigBadDad Member

It could be a Multiflora seedling. Apparently Multiflora is an invasive weed in some places in the Midwest.

8. Ron B

Leaves etc. look different in these views. Certainly a Sec. Synstylae rose, as is R. multiflora - or a hybrid of one.