Please Identify this Burr/Thistle/or ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mudfoot, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mudfoot

mudfoot Member

Hi:
    This plant (noxious weed) has been dried for about 3 years now and I've thought about taking it to the Chicago Botanic Garden for identification, but have never made it there with this thing. This was growing in a stony, dry area of my yard and from the looks of it, a burr was probably dropped off by a wild animal that collected it in his fur or hair and it just grew where it fell. From top to bottom it is about 14-16 inches tall and it did have leaves that were deeply serrated. There were (if I remember correctly) small yellow flowers where all the burrs are. It was kind of pretty and I had never seen this plant before and I saved it hoping someday I would find out what it was. The day has arrived and I'm hoping someone will identify this for me. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like the fruiting stalk of Cockleburrs (Xanthium spp). Do you have a picture of the whole plant, or just the dried stalk?

3. mudfoot

mudfoot Member

Hi Lorax:
    The picture is the total plant from top to bottom. Thorns everywhere on stem and little leaf branches. Then of course those burrs with spikes. It is on the small side as plants go.
    Thank you.