Identification: Type of plant and care info please

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KimberlyJ, May 13, 2009.

1. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

I have this plant and wasn't sure where to put it since it was shedding lots of those tiny leaves everywhere. I clipped off all of the dead parts and repotted it so hopefully it stays green. It was quite a mess before. It has bulbs with the roots which I wish I would have taken a picture of before I buried them. I would like to know what exactly this plant is and the proper care for it. I also wanted to know if I can plant the bulbs I knocked off while repotting. Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Asparagus densiflorus 'Sprengeri', Asparagus Fern.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Give it bright indirect light and a few hours of direct sun. Don't let the soil completely dry out like a bone or you could see lots of yellowing and plenty of needle drop, let the top inch or two start feel almost dry, these plants are water hogs, but just dobn't keep the soil sopping wet.
    You almost have to re-pot each each year into the next size, the roots are super strong and will break a clay pot, or crack a plastic one, no problem!

It gets little white insignificant flowers that turn into green berries. The green berries will eventually turn red. Peel off the red skin to expose a seed and plant just under the surface of a small pot for more plants if you like.

4. juniejane

juniejane Member

I put asparagus ferns in my garden right in the ground and then dig them up and bring in the house. They love the full sun they get!