Zone 10 ( Los Angeles ) Acer Palmatum growing advise/tips needed

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Imperfect Ending, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

I was just wondering if Acer Palmatums will survive in full sun from 12 - 6ish (in June) in zone 10? -- It's probably going to be the same in July but August the sun shifts away more dramatically..

It's been unusually cool this June [ We haven't had a day of sunshine this June yet! strange for Los Angeles ] so I don't know the full effects of it yet and I kind of want to prevent it from happening while there's still time...

Our average weather is 85F/29C to 95F/35C in Summer

My options are :

1. Leave it be where it gets full sun from 12 - 6 and see how it goes since the sun will be kinda moving behind the trees a little in mid Summer

2. Move it underneath a tree where it will get filtered sun and 'full' sun from 3:30 - 6

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you :)

p.s. will leaves under scorched leaves start burning up too, if sun scorching does occur?

Thank you again!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If evergreen azaleas grow in your neighborhood there is potential.

3. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

Not exactly my neighborhood but we have the Azalea maze at the Getty Center that's about 10 miles away...

And it looks like it's in the sun all day. Does this look as if it's possible to grow my maple out in the sun all day?

Picture by flickr: littlewonderpics http://www.flickr.com/photos/angeliquelittle/3360809826/

Attached Files:

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

5. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

I would think that to cultivate an Acer of Korea or Japan origin, may not be the best choice for afternoon sun.

This situation may depend on your specific heat zone.

I am in a heat zone 7, for me I cannot have much success if the tree is in the sun after one PM, to note even for some variegated trees will burn if left in direct sun after 10 AM.

I would say the trees would need dappled shade for most of the day. I have seen better growth in afternoon sun if the shade is dappled very.

If my trees are in full sun after one, the leaves will burn around the margins(Melt-Out) [FONT=arial,helvetica]Necrosis,[/FONT] making for a tree that looks very ragged in September. Some may take a full day of sun but I have never seen it. If you are in heat zone 8 or higher I would not expect to see a palmatum do well at all. If I were to be sentenced to a heat zone 8 I would be icing my trees all day, and freaking out like three mile island freak out, and I did notice that event in virginia. I told the guys I were working with on that day this, " there is something very strange about the sun today." OK is the period before the quote or after? gota get that straight.

6. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

I´m in a 9b zona and considering my experience here, I strongly recomend you NOT to plant palmatums in full sun. Filtered sun would be fine but since 11 AM during the summer.