Identification: Mystery Housplant, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by zen violet, Jun 11, 2009.

1. zen violet

zen violet Member

I've had this plant for about 6 months, it was near death and a mere stub when I rescued it thinking that it was some variety of violet, I transferred it to a violet pot and it went nuts. it is around 18 inches tall (if not more). I would like to know what it is so that I can care for it properly.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmm. I'm wondering if it could be some variety of Episcia. Don't suppose it has flowered for you...?

3. zen violet

zen violet Member

No, it has not flowered in recent memory. The new leaves at the bottom have a red tinge though, and it seems to be thriving on the constantly moist soil from the violet pot. The plant came in an arrangement, a kind of dish garden with plants potted in separate containers.

4. namawa

namawa Active Member

It looks like a Gloxinia that has resprouted after dormancy.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

But it's horribly leggy if that's what it is... Has it been in a darker area? How much light is it getting?

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

is the stem square?( can't tell from the picture) are the leaves scented? It may be a type of salvia if it is. It also could be a kohleria ( in the violet family)

7. zen violet

zen violet Member

To answer Questions: It is getting some early morning direct sunlight on the south side of the house, but mostly indirect throughout the day. Before it came to live with me it was in a darker spot and the stub was thought to be dead until I spotted a small leaf trying to push through at the base of a pruned stem. The Stem itself is round, and the underside of the leaf has a cucumbery fragrance when rubbed. Thanks so far for all of the help, I'm off to look up all of the suggestions!