Mystery Plants

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pirhan, Jun 11, 2009.

1. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Hi there,

I have moved to Ontario (just outside of Ottawa) and have a great big plot of land. With this, comes an abundance of plants that I have no idea what they are. I had three pictures attached below - any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the first one is wild grape. The second I'm guessing hemp? I'm completely stumped on the third. As I do not know any botanical terms to describe these, it's very hard for me to do web searches.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

#2 & #3 look like Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia

3. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

First one is probably a grape

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree with grape for 1 and i agree that 2 & 3 are virginia creeper.

5. dkg091065

dkg091065 Active Member

2 & 3 are Virginia Creeper. They will get small white flowers almost unseen due to the leaves. Then small blue berries that the birds will love!

6. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Whoa, I was really off with the Virginia Creeper. Thank you for the help!

I'm glad to hear I have one decent vine in the back. The other two I've identified as bittersweet nightshade and cucumber vine. (They're already making a nuisance out of themselves.)

Will the grape vine actually grow edible grapes? Should I remove this one too like the cucumber vine and nightshade?

I've got another vine that looks really familiar, but I don't know what it's called. Unlike the others, I've only found one in the front of the house. (First two pictures.)

I also have this light green and white leaf plant all around the house which is good friends with the ferns. What's this? Would it be okay to transplant close to a river in wet clay? (Last two pictures.) I have a absolute jungle of ferns that are taller than myself that I'm transplanting to the river, it'd be nice to take some of these too.

Attached Files:

7. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

1. Vicia sp.
    2. Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegata'

8. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Thank you so much!

Here are two other ones, both found on the river bank. The first one is just a clump and I haven't found them elsewhere on the property.

The second one grows wild along the bank. They're very fragile and develop a bump at the base of the stalk, usually with a pretty pink or bright orange growth. Unfortunately while trying to get rid of the vines, I've crushed most (really fragile!).

Attached Files:

9. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

#1 looks like a Eupatorium, perhaps Eupatorium maculatum (Joe Pye Weed).

10. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

Could that last one be Jewelweed? If it has yellow or orange flowers and/or seed pods that burst open when you touch them then maybe...

11. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Thank you woodschmoe. I think you're right on that.

I think you're right on the last one too, Jon45150. I'll keep them as web searches indicate that humming birds like them.

I believe my identification curiosities are satisfied for the time being. I can't think you all enough for your contributions in solving my garden mysteries. I'm truly thankful.

12. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I think this is No. 3 of your second set of pics - Variegated bishop's weed (Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegatum') is a relentless spreader, but there's a perfectly satisfactory response to such an unruly plant: Eat it.
    How's that for revenge on a spreading plant....barb