Slugs Everywhere!!!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by The New Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The New Guy

The New Guy Active Member

I've got slugs everywhere and they're eating everything – even Digitalis and Datura. I've been dusting the plants with a carbaryl powder, but it doesn't seem to be effective. Is there a poison that will work??

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'm not much for chemicals but the safest thing "they" say to use is "sluggo". It is safe to use around pets and such., and won't harm anything. Otherwise drag out the old ice pick and a tin can and go hunting. Do you have a young child or grandchild you could arm as stated above and pay him/her a nickle a slug? That only works if they are quite young tho. barb

3. The New Guy

The New Guy Active Member

I don’t have a child young enough to pick slugs. I actually spent some time one morning doing it myself. It was dark and wet that morning, so they were out. Actually, it was the first time I saw them and figured out what was causing the damage. They are very hard to find; didn’t even leave very visible slime trails.

I had read that carbaryl was supposed to be effective against them, but it didn’t seem to be doing much. I don’t have any cats or dogs, so I really don’t mind using the harsher chemicals – so long as they work. There are just too many of them to deal with otherwise.

4. yoshegirltwo

yoshegirltwo Member

lol did u ever do this when u were young and stupid like me........(i do it all the time lol) i like melt thinks and i find that when thay have a soft body like slugs and worms and snails thay die by salt as long as u put enough on them so get a big bag of it and try it ........... lol its funn too lol