Plum Tree - no blossom

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by mikey1004, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mikey1004

mikey1004 Member

This tree was in our backyard when we moved in 11 years ago and has always produced fruit. We have not changed watering patterns, but this year there were no blossoms. Any thoughts? Thank-you

2. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I thought this problem was only in the North East that the stone fruit trees have not blossomed at most places. The cherry trees, plums and apricots and even the hardiest Northstar and Evan cherries not only did not bloom but most trees are slow to sprout leaves and some trees may loose some limbs as the leaves seem to be drooping on some limbs. The problem has been noticed in many places this spring. The winter was seemingly not harsh in the north-east either and no one so far has been able to suggest a sound reason for it. It will be nice to know what caused it.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Is this "brown rot" to which you are referring ?

4. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

There is no brown rot if you are referring to my post.
    The problem seem to be the kind that will be caused by late freeze or frost by killing not only bloom buds but also damaging leaf buds. However, I don't thing we had any sever late freeze or frost to do this kind of damge.

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ottawa-Zone 5, Yes, thank you.

6. mikey1004

mikey1004 Member

We noticed less bees in the area than before...maybe lack of pollination?? I usually prune in January, which is what I did this year, maybe it was too late/early to do this???
    Before the leaves grew in, I seemed to remember that there were plenty of buds, but I don't know the difference between a leaf bud and a flower bud...