Wisteria not blooming

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by chevalc, Jun 9, 2009.

1. chevalc

chevalc Member

Live in Zone 6
    My wisteria (now about 5 years old) has always bloomed- not well though.
    It is absolutely huge but again, not a whole lot of blooms.
    This year, it is even taking a while for the leaves to come out (still not completely full and it is June 9).
    I trimmed it back quite a bit in spring (probably about end of April).
    Any suggestions? I have fertilized it once - last week.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

what about time prunning? this mounth (in zone 9)is a correct time for prunning ..

3. chevalc

chevalc Member

I am in zone 6 - I think it is early spring that it is to be prunned here. Maybe I pruned it too late in the season?????

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

yes!and a little prune in winter;for see wisteria in blooom prunned is very important
    ciao

5. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

You can prune out most of the flower buds with winter pruning when done incorrectly. Did a quick Google and came up with this as a guide -with pictures- of how to properly prune Wysteria....

6. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

7. chevalc

chevalc Member

Thanks for all the great websites. I have read them all.

My only concern is that they never tell me which growing zone they are referring to.
    They say winter, fall, summer - whatever but wouldn't the zone be important??

I am in zone 6 so don't want to follow directions that may apply to another zone.

The way I see it is that (FOR ZONE 6) I can prune any of the wild runners anytime during the summer. Then in the fall (Oct) when the leaves fall off I can prune back to 3 buds from main branch. Then in February I can prune further back if needed.

I am fearful that I don't understand which branches will be the ones that hold the flowers. My Wisteria is huge and on a high trellis (about 10 feet from the ground). The branches are all tangled- which is what I wanted as I use it as shade on my back deck which is in full sun all day.

Man, this is a lot of work.
    I guess it serves its main goal to give me shade but I had always imagined that some day I would have beautiful bunches of blooms hanging down overhead.

I have had some in the past but nothing like some vines I have seen elsewhere.