Black Cedars-white moth

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by chevalc, Jun 9, 2009.

1. chevalc

chevalc Member

Live in zone 6 (outside London, Ontario)
    Last year my cedars had a small white moth which has eaten away at the bottoms of my cedar hedge. This spring there seems to be new growth but still very little at bottoms (tops are fine- hedge is about 12 feet hight). I don't want to use insecticides. I am fertilizing every 2 weeks but would like any suggestions.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Thuja occidentalis 'Nigra'? You've seen caterpillars (moth larvae) doing the damage?

3. chevalc

chevalc Member

Haven't really noticed the caterpillars as we only started seeing the damage late last summer and by then they had already turned in to small white moths.
    So far this summer, I have not seen any moths but I should look closer to see if there are caterpillars. I have been told that it may be "LEAFMINERS" (description/pictures look like this could be the culprit).
    I did spray the bushes with diluted dish soap late last summer - not sure if it helped or not.
    BASICALLY, I AM LOOKING TO TRY TO GET RID OF THESE WITHOUT USING CHEMICALS. ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS????

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The presence of the moths may not be related to the damage. Seek local assistance in identifying the exact problem and what to do about it. Maybe a nearby independent garden center can help.