kerrisdale street tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by timberkame, Jun 9, 2009.

1. timberkame

timberkame Member

We just moved in, and this tree is the most beautiful shade provider near my balcony. I am a wee bit too impatient to wait for my reserved copy of Trees of Vancouver from the library, so I thought I would upload some shots. Thought perhaps that it is a type of walnut tree? Japanese Walnut? Black Walnut? Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to tree identification and I would love if someone could clear it up for me, been driving me nuts!

Rhodos are growing under it, and I think I saw them along 41st on the street as well. This one was quite late leafing out, as it just really started going about 2 weeks ago.
    Posted several photos: 2 of it just starting, and 1 of it now.
    cheers and thanks!

Attached Files:

2. franflower

franflower Member

I have a walnut and it doesn't look anything close. By now it would have these weird caterpillar-like blossoms falling off it if it were?

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try honeylocust ,Gleditsia triacanthos.

4. timberkame

timberkame Member

AH! Prior to posting, I looked at some images of locust, but the images were too small to make a judgement call. And it describes thorns, which threw me off, but I see that there is a thornless honey locust and it looks bang on. Thank you very much!! I am going to let me landlord know as well, it's been driving her nuts too.