Identification: These are all over my garden. YIKES

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mtnic, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mtnic

mtnic Member

It is probably something SO easy that anyone would recognize it- I looked through the sticky re: how to ID them, but I'm sorry guys, I just can't do it! I can hardly even read about them without gagging. I have an acute fungiphobia, as I've discussed in other posts. Can anyone help me? Or should I just remove them? I would if I wasn't so frightened.

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Any way you can post a picture of the underside of them - both the stem and the gills underneath? That probably means touching them but that is what we need.

3. mtnic

mtnic Member

Here you go. Thanks so much, I'm so grossed out I can't imagine how you do this.

Attached Files:

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Are they growing out of wood chips?

5. mtnic

mtnic Member

No, I just put the cedar bark mulch down today- I discovered all of them while mulching. It was growing out of soil I believe. There could have been some cedar mulch left from last year, but I didn't see any.

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I won't have time to figure out the ID for a little while, but here is a really good article about mushrooms that grow in your yard/garden, what they are doing, and what you can do with them. This should basically answer all your questions except the specific ID of the mushroom which we'll figure out in due time.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/yard.html

7. mtnic

mtnic Member

Thanks so much, I appreciate your wisdom and time.

8. connor

connor Member

i believe the best way is to get them out by hand, and since mushrooms are decomposers you should probably remove all dead and rotting matter in the garden so they have nothing to grow from.

9. mtnic

mtnic Member

This is a rather huge garden- I think I'd rather remove the mushrooms as they pop up than remove all organic material. I guess I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong to attract them. They aren't necessarily bad, are they? I don't like seeing them considering my phobia; but I wouldn't like seeing the weeds that would inevitably be everywhere if I didn't mulch either. I'm actually trying to eventually have a living mulch- it is a slow or expensive process- considering the size of this garden, I chose slow. We'll see how it works. If you check the link that MycoRob posted, you'll find that mushrooms can grow on anything, so even if I removed the mulch and the mushrooms, the mycelium would still be there. Apparently anyway, I could be wrong. I just got my first lesson on the subject in quite a few years.

10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Mushrooms definately aren't bad things to find in u're grass/yard/garden...as long as you're not going to eat it without knowing what kind it is and that it's safe. More often then not? They REALLLLY help the compost and enrich the soil when they die. You can garden with what's called Mushroom Compost that is left overs of mushroom farms...which contain mycelum and other remains of mushrooms as well as the substrate they grow in.
    I've not ever heard of someone having bad problems with mushrooms that have appeared in their yards and such? Feel kinda blessed in a way. People like me who love them? MIGHT get 1 or 2 mushrooms in my yard a year. :o)
    Something about the wood chips, spore and mycelum travel. So even if u pull up all THIS pile of chips...and lay a fresh one down? Chances are you're still going to get a muchroom of some kind growing there. A friend of mine here in KS is growing some amazing stink horns that are only found on the coast...because her compost came from that area.
    Just make sure...if u eat anything grown in u're garden....to just wash really well. (not that you wouldn't anyway) Or if you have kids playing in u're yard...keep them away from any known mushroom. Tell them that if they eat strange mushrooms it makes them like peas and carrots. Worked with my son...now he won't TOUCH a mushroom. Or peas and carrots.