Schefflera leaves turning brown

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nanso, Jun 8, 2009.

1. nanso

nanso Member

Hello,
    I just bought this schefflera about a week ago, now the leaves (even the new growth)are turning brown and falling off. I'm keeping it out of direct sunlight, and I've watered it once or twice since I bought it. Any idea what could be wrong?
    Thanks alot,
    Nancy

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Does the pot have good drainage?

3. nanso

nanso Member

Hey Togata :)
    Yes, it's in a plastic pot with drain holes at the bottom.
    thanks

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmmm. What's the ambient temperature in the room?
    Take a run through a list of The Usual Suspects: temperature; light; moisture---too high or too low? Plus, a frisking of the plant for insect freeloaders and/or virus-fungus stuff is a good idea, both on the plant itself and in the soil. (I have read here on the Forum of the latter---ecch!)

Is there a big temperature difference between where the plant was previously living and where it is now? Have you applied fertilizer, and, if so, in what strength and by what method?

5. nanso

nanso Member

Hi Togata,
    The room temperature is usually between 23-26 deg C, dont think that would be much different from the Ikea store I bought it from. Not much humidity (air conditioner running most of the time since its very hot here). It might not be getting enough light, I moved it near a window yesterday where it would get some sun in the afternoon. No I havent fertilized it.
    I looked for insect freeloaders or fungus etc but couldnt find anything obvious. Would spraying it with pesticide, just in case, help?
    thanks