Identification: Purple caps?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, May 1, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

These small mycena-looking mushrooms are right now living on a woodchip pile at the very edge in a shady area. The wood is mixed...so can't say specifically what kind.
    Very nice and damp, humidity is great in this location.
    They've a strong whitish stem, gray gills, black spore print, and the young have the very wispy veil that is gone before they're fully grown.
    They've a sweet scent to them? Almost fruity...hard to explain.
    NE Kansas
    Other kinds growing in the immediate area are cups (possibly Peziza vesiculosa), Eyelash cups, lots of Coprinus sp. and a couple other UNK's.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi C.Wick,
    I don't know the answer, but have you investigated Stropharia as a possibility?
    frog

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I have...unfortunately as this mushroom ages it turns a brown color? So I think that is causing me a lot of difficulty with the ID.
    I'm finding more and more patches of them and all seem consistant with wood chips.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Is the spore print black or could it be a very deep purple or purple/brown?

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

A definately pure black! I was looking where I had lighter 'dustings' of the spore and when I rub it into the paper it still looks black?

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Is the stipe hollow?

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

No. Was very thin and fiberous. Broke easily but would leave 'hairs' attached so not a clean break.

8. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...I'll go with the 'snaperilla'....they definately were delicate stems. These are a very 'dainty' little mushroom though..........the link and names so far all seem more robust looking then these are?

10. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

I'm thinking Stropharia Rugoso-annulata, maybe? Purple cap, annulus, grayish gills, black spores...

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

THOSE are beautiful.....the stems however on mine are very thin and delicate? And STILL growing every now and then in little pop-up areas. The thickest was maybe 2cm thick? Also, the ring is vevy faint, disappearing once the cap is fully extended. I only found the 'babies' with the connecting fibers.

12. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Can't be Stropharia Rugosa Annulata, AKA King Stropharia. They are most famous for being large, and when mature their caps form a dish upward. The I have them in culture right now.

I've seen those in the picture before, but really have no idea what they are. I am only curious about fungi that are big enough and available in sufficient quantity to be edible.

They say "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" and those, being so small, have no place in my heart.

If I had to guess, I would have to say a psilocybin-containing type, which , of course was once called a stropharia.