Indeterminate tomatoes in containers?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Freyja, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

Has anyone ever grown indeterminate tomatoes in containers? I've opted for a small patio tomato this year since I only had an 18 inch pot, but would love to do a larger one next year.

How large of a container would be needed? Would something like a large rubbermaid storage bin (with holes drilled for drainage) be big enough? I know staking would be critical.

What kind of growing medium would be best? Any suggestions on indeterminate varieties that would grow well in such a container?

I'd love to hear about others' experiences with something like this.

Thanks.

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would think that an 18 in. container would be large enough. This year I am growing some tomatoes in 5 gal. buckets, so in the fall I will be able to tell you how they did. I will have the same types of tomatoes growing in garden, so it will be interesting to see how each do. I have in the past grown cherry tomatoes, sugary and sweetie (both indeterminate) in a 12 inch container with acceptable results. I soil I have used in the past was a mix of garden soil, peat moss, manure and vermiculite. I am doing the same this year. I have a big beef in a container already, along with a couple of cherry tomatoes and will probably add a couple of paste tomatoes, like Mama Mia and Amish Paste, which I already have growing.

3. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

Thanks for the info, Jan. I'd love to see your update in the fall.

4. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Yes Jan. Hopefully in the garden photo thread :)

5. JanR

JanR Active Member

I will see what I can do. :)

6. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I can tell ya from experience JanR, that your 5 gal. containers will yield a wonderful crop for ya. If the container is too big, I find you get a lot of leaves, but less tomatoes. I am certain that in the Fall, you will be harvesting tomatoes like crazy! So exciting.

Good luck with everything. Looking forward to seeing your peeks...

: )

7. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

My experience in containers is bad. there is my flaw, the top area is not as moist as the bottom, and the bottom either does not drain correctly or needs correct combinations. I definitely want to practice this. Jan and Holleyberry, what is your container approach for the tomatoes?

8. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Always use good and fast draining soils for your pots, and be sure that the pots themselves have excellent drainage holes. I use either miracle grow potting soil in my pots, or sunshine soil-less pro mix. Both are terrific.

If the roots are sitting in soggy, undrained soil at the bottom of the pots, this will definitely cause some serious problems! Good drainage is crucial.

Hope this helps.

: )