what bug is this?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by debbiecastanha, Jun 4, 2009.

1. debbiecastanha

debbiecastanha Member

Hi all-I put this Myers dwarf lemon in about 5 mos. ago. It looked great but soon flowered and turned extremely yellow. I put some fish emulsiion on but it doesn't seem to have improved. also used citrus fertilizer about 3 or 4 weeks ago and still nothing. Also, see this bug? Is it good or bad? thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lacewing

lacewing Member

Do you have it in full sun?

3. debbiecastanha

debbiecastanha Member

Yes, it is. I thought not enough water, but that does not seem to help either!

4. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Yellowing can be caused by a great number of factors, however in your pictures I notice two curious symptoms. Fist of all, it appears as if the veins in the leaves are yellowing, and secondly is that the tips appear to be yellowing.

Yellowing of the veins could be caused by Phytophthora, water damage, as well as physical damage to the root system. Phytophthora is a very nasty soil borne disease that is typically brought on by excessive watering, and a disorder called "yellow vein choloris" is a symptom of this. Also, incorrect planting dept can cause yellow vein choloris, as well as improper drainage, and mulch against the base of the plant.

Yellow tipping of leaves can be caused by various deficiencies, however I'd feel that this may be secondary to the problem above. Some fertilizers have impurities in them that can lead to yellowing of the leaf tips as well as the leaf veins.

Bottom line is not to overwater and make sure the plant has excellent drainage. The bad news is that if this is Phytophthora, then it may be the end to your lemon. The good news is that I could be wrong.

5. debbiecastanha

debbiecastanha Member

thanks for the great input! I will clear away mulch from the bottom. I really can't imagine I'm over watering (you should see the grass!) but I'll definitely watch that.

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your tree does not have phytophthora, and don't worry about the bug. The bug is not this tree problem. Actually, your tree's problem is quite common for newly planted citrus, especially when planted by one who is new to citrus. Citrus are VERY HEAVY feeders, and require a lot of nutrition. Your tree is greatly under nourished, with the main symptom showing, among others, is a lack of nitrogen. The symptoms of citrus nitrogen deficiency is....yellow leaves with no variation of color, or yellow orange veins with some green out on the far sides. A young newly planted citrus tree growing in California should be fertilized with a 6-6-6 or an 8-8-8 formulated fertilizer six times during the season, starting the 1st of March until the end of August. For a citrus tree less than four years old, never use a fertilizer stronger than a fertilizer with the formulation of 8-8-8.

If you purchase a fertilizer with the formula 6-6-6 apply 0.6 pounds of fertilizer at each application. Spread the fertilizer evenly around the tree extending one foot beyond the drip line. Never apply any fertilizer directly against the tree's trunk. Equally space each of the 6 applications in time space between March to August. For an 8-8-8 fertilizer apply 0.4 pounds per application, again equally spaced in time between March and the end of August. At this point, your tree is greatly under nourished, and will take a little time to recover. Good luck to this tree. - Millet (1,324-) http://citrus.forumup.org/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009