Finally!!!!

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Barbara Lloyd, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I finally broke down and bought a camera. Now I just have to figure out how it works. This is a loooong way from my Kodak Brownie w/ flash attachment. Now lets see if I did it right?....barb

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like you got the camera to work and figured out how to get the picture on the site.

Now all that is needed is for someone to transplant those completely incongruous pansies.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Thanks Ron, your right. Office Max had the little Olympus FE 20 on sale and I gave in. It took a while but thanks to Eric I figured how to download.
    Now as to the panseys. I started this rockery and surrounding garden about 6 yrs ago. The rockery was full of cotoneaster, Snow berry, and big native ferns. Thanks to hand painting leaves & stems w/ finale, pulling roots, hacking at ferns etc. I finally cleaned it out. They keep trying to come back but I'm relentless. I'd planted every seedum, sempervivum etc, that I could find. Then my daughter took over the garden. Roses went into the top of the rockery and all sorts of other things got tucked in here and there. Since I can't do it anymore and she's done so well....I don't say much about what she puts where unless it's totally wrong. As time goes buy I'll post more pics of her work. barb

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Wow - what a beautiful shot! Thanks for sharing Barbara. I just got a new digital camera a month ago, and I am loving it! What a difference from my previous web cam pics.

I am looking so forward to seeing more of your lovely peeks...

: )

5. lacewing

lacewing Member

I think it is a lovely photo.

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

A beautiful rock garden. I like the pansies!

7. Barbara Lloyd

Re: Finally!!!! 2nd shot

Thank you all for your encouragement.
    Here is the whole rockery that faces due north. I'll try to get some more close ups as I learn how to use this camera. And to get shots of the upper yard where daughter Debbie has done most of the work.
    Jan, don't look for the yellow pansey. It was moved to make room for more Hen & chicks bought yesterday.
    barb

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  8. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - that is so gorgeous! How beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to show us all.

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Now thats what I call a rockery...lucky you Barb!

I love the feature including the huge boulders.

10. Barbara Lloyd

Thank you Katalena. I've always been a rockery lover, and that is part of what sold this house for me. Behind where I was standing to take the pics, the lawn slopes to the street. Eventually another rockery will be placed just off the side walk to level the lawn area and give me more room. At my age kneeling in flower beds is out, but verticle planting still works. barb ;)))

11. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Ah! thats like my son's situation, one bit lawn, the other gravel for a drive.

Out for me due to a damaged patela (knee) It may never be possible to bend again but since january I exercise, go to physio so you never know.

My border is about 8ft dry stone wall but not so wide.

Notie the flat slabs to the right? To the left is where I got a guy to remove three rows of slabs so I had more room but he did'nt want more so I am stuck now till I find someone to dismantle the three more rows.

Attached Files:

12. Barbara Lloyd

Kat,
    Your rockery is beautiful and I really like all the artwork placed here and there. What is in the pot in the forefront. Is it saxifrage?
    We do what we can to still keep our hands in! 'Doing' that's the important part, and sharing our endevors with others. My last home had 170' of "dry stone" rockery with multi-layered beds in front. I really miss that. barb

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Barb,

Primrose yellow at the front. Purple plant is maybe one picked at random at B&Q when the plant I went for was'nt in stock. Near the girl with the brolly is one of my favs the Viola.

Idea eventually if I can't remove more rows is have Cotenester falling down the wall to cover. I have already bought some last year and its growing nicely now.

Another Viola tumbles at the front, and yes, correct its a Saxifraga but they are so tender and half was missing lol I think they do best in a more permant spot where they won't get disturbed next time I buy one.

Next is the Rhodi which is a lemon rather than yellow, its a plant I bought a dog I used to have...a Bichon Frise.

After the Rhodi is a Forest Flame, then at the back next to that is a yellow Broom. Beyond the first windmill is a box hedge.

I had a plant which was really nice and I must have whizzed it away *cry..its called Gaura Passionate Blush it had beautiful pink flowers..you would love it Barb!.

Image is to show garden situ, ignore fencing its like getting blood from a stone from our council..argeeeee! I will maybe buy my own next year and sugar em lolol

There was nothing in the hanging basket at the time but now some trailing Violas..

Done

Attached Files:

14. Barbara Lloyd

That's a lovely garden, and you don't have to bend or kneal down. My kind of garden!!!!
    I don't know about Lancashire, but here in NW Washington, Cotoneaster can get away from you so keep it under control. I'm in what Sunset Garden book calls Zone 5. They discribe it as "Mild ocean air moderates winters in this area. The region produces some of the finest rhododendrons, Japanese maples, and rock garden plants anywhere." (We also grow tulips and dafffodils for the world). "Average January minimum temps range from 37 to 33 (3 to 1 C)". The last year or so it's been colder.
    Wednesday I go the the Doctor to find out if my knee is just lack of excercise or there is something really wrong. so, wish me luck! barb

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

It could be a heck of a lot better Barb but thanks.

Good luck with the knee I know I am sick of mine. Yesterday it was fine but again today its sore and swollen. It feels like a lead weight is being carted around which they say is normal with this type of injury.

Doctor a couple of weeks ago took two lots of stuff from it and had it analyzed but no problems or infection detected. I had an xray but nothing broke or fractured but still its swells up. I swear I will never be released from the physio lolol

Problem is I can't tolerate anti inflamataries, we tried those but ended up with chronic tummy cramps.

Good luck Barb!!

16. Barbara Lloyd

Katalina,
    It's, what, a bit after 9pm your time, prop the knee up on a pillow and get some sleep. Have you tried Aloe Vera cream or jell on it? That sometimes helps mine. barb

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I do that Barb during the day when the machine is off all afternoon.

I have the Aloe Vera gel after my son said he puts it on his face after washing.I never thought of using on inflamation areas though.

I can't go to bed yet lol it is just after nine and I rarely sleep all night as it is. I always go to bed around eleven and listen to radio for half hour, then up at about 7.am. What I do is grab a pillow for my knee to watch TV, or read.

18. lacewing

lacewing Member

Hello,
    Just joined this forum a week or so ago, you all seem like such nice people. That is such a nice rockery. Beautiful. Take care of the knees. That is what I am learning. Note to self take care of knees. So far so good. Knocking wood. I still get paid to do gardening, lucky people pay me to do what I love, to play in their gardens and spend their money on plants... it is very fortunate.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow Lacewing - I'd sure love to see some of your photos! I bet they're spectacular.

20. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

Beautiful Absolutely Beautiful! I am jealous! I have a plan for a rockery style garden with water ect. in my back yard. However its going to be some time before i can pull it off!

21. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Problem is I can't tolerate anti inflamataries, we tried those but ended up with chronic tummy cramps.

Have you tried any of the natural anti inflamataries.

Sounds like I am also part of the old crock society. :)
    Mine is the hip which effects my knees. I can get down but can't lift anything from point A to B.
    You are really inspiring me to get the digital organised. I have missed our great autumn show yet again. My son has offered me one of his so will see what it involves.

Meanwhile had a dig in my photos of some of the gardens of my childhood. They are a group of gardens under national trust protection. Many including this one was badly damaged by our 1983 Ash Wedneday fires. They are refered to hills station gardens and are full of exotic 19th century plantings. Some trees quiet rare The pic is what we used to refer to as "The Temple" and this is where many of the local kids learned to swim , me included. There was a lot of weed inthe bottom so we would madly splash from one oramental fountain to another. The path across the water is a series of stepping stones. The water was about 6 foot deep if you fell off.

Liz

Attached Files:

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh that picture is so beautiful Liz - I love it! Thanks for sharing.

23. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I can tell...

lmaoooooo indeed you are most lucky on both counts. A job you love and no knee problems...haahahahaha

Am gonna love Lacewing who made me lol already...ahahaaha..welcome to Botanical Garden forums Lacewing!

Yes, I agree with the Hollyberry Lady gimmie some images to drool over..*grin!

Liz, the temple is lovely. Digi cameras are wonderful in that your pics are just 'there' right away ready to upload. I live next to a man who has the white flowering Hebe and this year there is a tremendous amount of flowers and of course bees by the dozen or more. I tried to zoom in on a bee or two but the little sugars would not settle and kept flying backwards towards the camera. Sos. I backed off.

This image was taken this morning, you can just make out six is what I counted of the bees but the plant which again was much larger was covered in bees. I need to learn about the camera, and how to photgraph wildlife in mega size.

Attached Files:

24. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is why I am looking forward to a camera. There are so many bits I have mentioned that I would like to illustrate such as the huge copper beeches down the road or my bad hair day wisteria billowing off the top balcony.

Very snappy and cold out side now (for us) and the violets are out all over the place already.

Liz

25. lacewing

lacewing Member

Hi everybody, I don't have many good photos of my work, and I need to put the software for my easyshare camera on this computer, but one of these days I hope to do that. I took some recent photos of a succulent install that I designed to look like a coral reef. Purples and aquas... I liked it, but my client moved some things around afterwards... whatever she wants I guess... anyways, sure enjoying reading like minded thoughts from all of you. I think our gardening minds see things from a perspective all our own. Today I was so lucky, working in a beautiful yard in beautiful La Jolla CA., a 1920's mansion with view of the cove, and the weather is so perfect for growing just about anything there. Even the maidenhair ferns we plant grow no problem. (nice and humid and mild there) : ) Bye for now...