Identification: What is the name of this succulent?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by harleyxena, Jun 4, 2009.

1. harleyxena

harleyxena Member

I have searched and searched and cannot find out the name of this plant:( Any ideas?:)R

Attached Files:

2. namawa

namawa Active Member

Graptopetalum paraguayense (aka 'Ghost Plant')?

3. harleyxena

harleyxena Member

oh gosh thanks so much. I got a baby off my friends patch and 1 has grown w/ a few babies on the stalk. I was trying to figure out how to get more babies from them. Again, thanks for the quick reply:)R

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to buy this succulent? I would love to get some....barb

5. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I don't know where to get one, but I do know that succulent cuttings travel well through the mail. Maybe if you offer to pay the postage, someone will share with ya...

: )

6. harleyxena

harleyxena Member

My plant exists of one and that is why I am trying to get babies from it. I did email my friend who gave me the original cutting to see if maybe I could go by and swipe some more but he hasn't replied yet. I've never shipped a plant before so I have no clue about the particulars. I'd be willing to try if I can get some additional clippings from him. The large circle of them in that picture is at his newly purchased home that the original owner grew. He said they multiplied by themselves.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Sending cuttings, seedlings, and baby plants through the mail is really easy - I do it all the time! You just have to make sure that the roots, or bottom of the cutting are kept moist, and that the upper part is kept bone dry. If the upper part is not dry, it will rot, and if the lower part is not moist, it will dry up!

I usually put the bottom 2 inches of the cuttings into one tablespoon of moist soil, wrapped with moist paper towels, and then placed into two baggies, with a twist tie around the baggie and the stem to hold it in place during traveling - careful though, not tight enough to choke, just firm.

Then you must take care to put the cutting into something, so it will not get crushed in the mail. I use two old VHS casette tape holder boxes doubled together, with the cutting inside. Then I put the little box into a bubble wrap envelope, and mail it off!

I am in Canada, and I have successfully mailed cuttings to people in the US as well, and they have made it just fine, and took right off for them too! I do not need any cuttings, but just wanted to tell you about how easy it is, and not something to be afraid of doing. I just write 'Garden Seeds and Supplies - Please do not crush' on the package, so there's no problems. Do not write 'Live Cuttings'!!!

: O

Anyway, I wish you luck. Exchanging cuttings is so fun and rewarding. I even mailed someone in the States a Passion Flower vine seedling that I had germinated myself, - not only did they receive it, but it is now thriving!

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

harleyxenaa,
    I was supprised to find a plant and the proper name all in one place, there are so many.
    I have some of them, but at this time couldn't tell the names of few if any. If your interested and send me your address via private mail I will package some up and send them to you. I'll also stick in some seedums that are interesting.
    Just be patient. They do multiply redily, but each on its own schedule. Keep your baby happy and he'll do the rest. I would love to have one but don't worry too much about it....barb ;)))

9. harleyxena

harleyxena Member

Barbara,
    If I can get some more babies to grow or else some more cuttings from my friend I would be more than willing to send you some. Not sure how to email you privately to get your mailing address as I'm new here:)R

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Someone from this forum mailed me seedum cuttings and they completley buried them under dry soil in a little container. They were just fine when I got them, and had even began to root in the mail! Succulent cuttings can be buried in dry soil - a whole different method than previously described for other plants and cuttings.

11. harleyxena

harleyxena Member

You are very sweet to share this info:)X

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you!

I just wanted people to know how easy it is to successfully mail cuttings and young plants to each other. I used to be afraid to do it, and didn't know it was possible, until someone from another garden forum wised me up. Now, I'm an old pro!

Glad the information helped.