Clematis help!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ananya, Jun 22, 2005.

1. ananya

ananya Member

I recently bought a clematis from the local home depot. I am not sure what type it is it just says clematis spp. on the plant care tag. I am waiting for one bud to flower so I can take a picture when it does bloom. Any ideas??

Regards,
    Nayana

2. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Nayana, Does your clematis tag have a picture of the flower? I might be able to identify it if you can provide a description. It is unwise to buy a clematis without knowing the name, or seeing a picture, as you then don't know how to care for it. There are different ways of pruning them and pruning is important in getting a good show of flowers.
    Unfortunately, many clematis sold in supermarkets, etc. don't have adequate details and, sometimes, even the wrong care instructions, on their tags.
    In the meantime, be patient until it flowers. Having bought it at Home Depot, it is probably quite a popular one and you should have no difficulty in identifying it.
    Enjoy the surprise!
    Diane.

3. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Mine are blooming now and have been for awhile. You may not get a lot of blooms the first year, but give it a couple and it will be covered. They actuall have a fairly long growing season compared to some plants. Give it time.

4. ananya

ananya Member

Thank you for the replies in fact the tag does have pictures but it is a generic picture with both the purple and the white clematis...however on the positive side I did buy a plant with a few buds and the buds are in bloom its pretty late in the night right now but I will try to take a picture of it in daylight :)

Smiles,
    Nayana

5. ananya

ananya Member

6. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Nayana, is the colour in your photo the exact colour of the flower? Do the petals have a darker stripe down the centre? What colour are the stamens? There are so many clematis that look alike that it's sometimes hard to tell unless you see the actual flower. It could be Princess of Wales or Mrs. Bush although I haven't seen either in Mississauga nurseries this year. If no-one else can identify it, let me have the details I've asked you for and I'll have another look through my files.

Diane.

7. ananya

ananya Member

Dear Diane,

The petals are a nice pale mauve(??) color, my webcam isnt so good which is why it looks darker than it actually is and the stamen is really a nice deep purple color .The closes pic i could find online was this one..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/nanubs/clem.jpg

I did have a look at other pictures and i couldnt find a picture for Mrs. Bush but it does look a lot like the Princess of Wales that you previously mentioned.

Smiles
    Nayana

8. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Hello Nayana. It is likely that your clematis is Princess of Wales, even though there are dozens of similar looking clematis. I say this because the supply of clematis in Ontario is limited and we only seem to get the more popular and well known ones and Princess of Wales is quite popular and well known.
    Whatever it is, I'm sure you will enjoy it. The only problem you are likely to face is how to prune it if you don't know what it is. I suggest, when it is in full flower, you take a flower to a local nursery (not a big box store or a supermarket) such as Sheridan Nurseries and someone there may be able to help identify it.

Good gardening!
    Diane.