Tomatoess

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by CapeBretonGardener, Jun 3, 2009.

1. CapeBretonGardener

CapeBretonGardener Member

Is it ok to plant my tomatoes now?

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Where I am you are late, in my area spring is in march... So I think you are good to plant them

3. CapeBretonGardener

Ok so I planted the tomatoes, left my home for a few hours come back and how they are drooping. any ideas or how to help them?

4. comradea

comradea Member

Did you transplant the seedlings to the ground ? containers ? Did you do it in mid-day with sun overhead and temperature warm ? If so, You can just water them thoroughly and hopefully they sort themselves out in their new home tonight... I usually transplant at dawn or dusk (more like dusk... so after moving the plant is not subjected to heat and evaporation while roots might be just reestablishing the contacts with soil after the move,...

Good luck !!

5. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Yes, you should be sure that the soil is very moist when you plant the tomato plants. Root stimulants help too. As for the plants, you must keep those roots moist daily as they develop, and grow deeper. Once the plant and root develops you may lessen the watering, but go with deep watering. If you need, look at this:

Watering plant roots thread.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=52327

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

Did you harden them off properly? It is very important that they gradually be exposed to full sun and outside conditions.

7. CapeBretonGardener

I guess I panicked a bit because when I went out this morning they all now look fine.

8. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Hi CapeBretonGardener

I live down here on the main land and I am growing my tomatoes in pots, still covered around with black paper to keep what ever warmth there is inside. a few folks down this way have them in their gardens but with protection. Just keep an eye on the temps and cover them up, we still have a chance of frost in the next week or so. It will eventually warm up here in Nova Scotia.

9. JanR

JanR Active Member

They were probably just a little stress from being planted.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

What's your current average day and night time temperatures CapeBreton Gardener? We are still quite cool here in Ontario, and the Maritimes is always last to get the warm weather. I am waiting until we get a bit warmer before I put all my stuff out.

Agree with JanR - gotta harden them off before zapping them outdoors permanently.

: )