Problems in St. Lucia!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by SWhite3726, May 30, 2009.

1. SWhite3726

SWhite3726 Member

Well I've been here nearly 10 months now and am getting to grips with some crops and not others! I am managing to grow some things really well, tomatoes, lettuces, peanuts, onions, carrots, garlic, spring onions, and the obvious pineapples, bananas etc. There are some which are posing a few more problems though. I am trying butternut squash which has grown really well and then the caterpillars starting to get them. I am loathe to use pesticides so I religiously went round removing them which meant it survived long enough to produce the 'fruit'. First one started to develop and the ants got it instead! Any advice on how to deal with this without chemicals?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Grow UP rather than LONG. I have the same problem with my Kombucha squashes, and it all but went away when I started growing them on trellises instead of along the ground.

3. SWhite3726

SWhite3726 Member

Many thanks that sounds like a good idea, I will certainly give it a try. I will go out later and put a trellice up. But I wonder will that still stop the ants climbing/crawling? They are pretty resourceful here and very large!