Identification: Help identify my succulent!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Fiona9, May 28, 2009.

1. Fiona9

Fiona9 Member

The plant I'm trying to ID has been very strange. I bought it about a year and a half ago at about a foot tall and it's shot up to 3-4 feet! It falls over when I remove the wooden sticks I've been using to hold it up, so I think it's supposed to grow along the ground, but I don't have the space in my room to let it. I'd like to plant it outside but I don't know if it will survive or take over. The pictures below are of a branch that grew out of the side of the plant and fell off. It had roots coming out of it even when it was growing on the main plant so I assuming it was supposed to fall off and planted it and it's doubled in size. Please help me figure out what kind of plant it is so I can figure out what to do with it! It's got three more shoots growing off the side and I don't have space for 5 of these fast growing succulents! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Kalanchoe sp. You can cut the stem and re-root it in soil. The cut end will also make new growth, and the leaves will produce baby plants when pulled off the mother plant.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Kalanchoe

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

It might be kalanchoe daigremontiana, has it gotten any baby plants along the edge of the leaves? You can also prune these pants to be more bushy, and you can plant it outsde but it will not survive the winter.

5. swellda

swellda Member

I don't know the habits of this particular plant whatsoever but, given how eager you say this thing is to root and spread, I shudder at the thought of planting it outside and having it get out of control!