Please HELP i don't know what's wrong with my cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by priscilalila, May 27, 2009.

1. priscilalila

priscilalila Member

I Have this beautiful cactus, and lately it has been turning white near its base...Some parts of it seems to be cutting off.. I researched online for some causes but found nothing like this. I'll post some pictures, and if anyone can ID it for me I'll be glad... Please let me know what to do with it.. I re potted last month, in the beginning of spring, and now during its growing season i water twice a month, no fertilizer.. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Do you see any bugs? Anything that looks fluffy on the plant?

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

looks like a fungal infection.

4. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

That makes me sad :( Does it look like they can do anything to treat it, or is this plant destined for the trash?

5. joclyn

fungicide specifically for cacti should fix it up in no time...it's not yet overtaken the plant, so, should be able to save it from more damage/possible loss. any scarring will remain, though :(

i forgot to ask earlier: is it a fairly large and old plant? if so, it may not be fungus. it could just be the normal 'corking' that can happen with older specimens.

6. priscilalila

priscilalila Member

Okay, i thought that it could be a fungus..But if it is where can i find a fungicide for cacti? The plant is about 6 inches high, its not too old, 2 years. I was watering once a month, but when i saw these white marks progressing, i did some research and thought it could be lack of water, because a cacti can get sunburned just from the heat. So i started watering twice a month, but just a little bit of water. I want to do something to help it. There are no bugs, nothing. The white part seems to be harder then the green part. If anyone has any suggestions...And tell me where i can find fungicide..thank you

7. priscilalila

priscilalila Member

Just one more thing, if you can give me a name of the best fungicide for cacti, and how much should i use..thanks

8. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Looks like corking to me.
    It is a monstrose Cereus of some kind.

9. priscilalila

priscilalila Member

Yeah, I think you are right, it might just be corking..hopefully thats the case..
    Thanks for the tip and for identifying my cactus for me..
    ;D

10. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Looks like what my prickly-pear has had at its base for years, to no apparent ill effect. No bugs, no ominous squishiness, not turning pale? I think your plant might be OK.

11. priscilalila

priscilalila Member

I'm relieved now..i think my cactus will be ok.. Thank you for all the replies..
    It has no bugs, no soft parts..other then the white part its his normal green self ;D
    I guess its just a cactus thing ;)

12. joclyn

so, the plant is older?? then it would definitely be corking and not fungus.

i didn't know, so asked elsewhere about what type of fungicide is best...still waiting on replies and i will still give you the info. it's good to have the info on hand as fungus can hit at any time...