In The Garden: pls help identify this plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by plantdummy, May 26, 2009.

1. plantdummy

plantdummy Member

dear forumers,

Pls help identify this plant. I have it indoor and it doesnt look as pretty now, its close to being 'bald' now. i notice when a new foliage is growing, its very soft and it will just droop after awhile. i was adviced to cut off the infected shoot and let it grow again, so as i cut it, it was all watery, n till today it has not grown abit. pls help

Hope you understand what im talking about.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

It sounds like you are overwatering. It likes to dry out between waterings. If you find rot (mushy, soggy) then cut it back 1/2 inch at a time, until you get to firm, healthy tissue.

4. plantdummy

plantdummy Member

Thanks for the advise. Does it require lots of sunlight? since now the leaves have not grown, can i cut off the entire top portion n let it grow again? should i resoil?

i hope to get it to survive n grow again, what shall i do.

Also, if i were to cut the 'cane' to half, can i take the top portion and replant it to get another shorter shoot?? is that how its done?

Today, i have 1 'cane' totally without any leaves while the rest of the canes, where i cut off the shoots, has not grown any leaves since.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  5. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

As long as the plant tissue appears healthy, it's a possibility that it's just "pouting" and putting on new root growth. Just make sure you let it dry out really good. As for repotting, how long has it been in its current soil?

I believe you can cut the cane and reroot it in soil, but I am not certain, as I have never dealt with this particular plant regarding propagation. I am sure someone will be along to tell you if that will work (or after I am done eating dinner, I will look it up, haha.)