Heirloom Apple trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Roger Priddle, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Roger Priddle

Roger Priddle Member

Hi. I have a friend who is the naturalist at the Simcoe County museum. On the property there is the remains of an old orchard which he would like to expand. On his behalf then I'm trying to find sources for seeds or root stock or ??? for some old apple tree varieties. My family had a farm many years ago with about 10 trees all different - Spies, Yellow Transparent, MacIntosh, Russets (?) and something with a name like "Peewaulkie". Each apple had it's own features and uses that all the local farmers knew, but that was 50 years ago and I don't know how to track this information down now.

Anyway, basically 2 questions - 1) where can I get some old apple varieties to plant, and 2) where can I get information to compare and contrast apple varietes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger Priddle

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Roger--these folks close to me over here in BC have about 60 varieties available most years, plus a large selection of scionwood if you can graft your own. Now is the time to order things before the scionwood gets too old for grafting.

http://www.derrysorchardandnursery.ca/p2_rs_at.html

There is also quite a group of growers on the gulf islands nearby who are preserving many of these heirlooms. I don't have contact info but the Walsh's might be able to track them down if it came to that...

3. Roger Priddle

Roger Priddle Member

Hi - thanks very much for the link. I've sent them an email but, on reading their site further, realize that I have no idea what they mean by "scionwood" or "MM106" etc. Plus, I don't know if it makes any sense to get tree bits in Vancouver when I live north of Toronto, but I don't know anyone in this area who carries heirloom trees.

Ah, learning new stuff keeps the brain active. Fortunately, I don't mind looking like an ignoramus!

Roger

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This being a museum they might like to feature cultivars known to have been planted locally in the past.

5. Roger Priddle

Roger Priddle Member

Hi Ron - yeah, I think that's probably correct but I'm not sure they know exactly what trees were there before. Our farm was only about 80 miles away as the crow flies so I'm assuming that varieties that grew at the farm will grow here - Peewaukie, Transparent, Russet. I think the main interest is in varieties that are not commonly found.

I just had a thought - we have a significant orcharding area on the Bruce Peninsula (about 30 miles across the water from my window.) I wonder if they would a) have and b) sell the kind of thing I'm looking for (whatever it is.)

Roger

6. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Have you tried Guelph's agricultural dept? You might also try places like Upper Canada Village, Black Creek Pioneer Village and also areas such as Prince Edward County where there is, for instance, an orchard on the road between Picton and the Glenora Ferry where heritage variety are grown. Am now on the west coast so can't look up names etc.
    Good luck in the hunt.
    Margaret

7. Roger Priddle

Roger Priddle Member

Thanks Margaret for your suggestions - U of Guelph was on my list of places to contact but I hadn't thought about the two heritage villages.

8. BigBadDad

BigBadDad Member

you may wish to try denman island apple (www.denmanapple.ca). They cary a good variety of older apple varieties.