Broke my beloved houseplant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Noxypig, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Noxypig

Noxypig Member

I snapped the stem of my favorite houseplant tonight.
    Its a fairly common plant, but I can't find the name. It has one long stem and has long really thin dark green leaves growing from it. I've neglected it in the past, so the stem gets longer as the leaves die and new ones grow in. I snapped it in the middle of the bare part of the stem, before the leaves grow, so now I have a long, bare, stick-like stem, and the head of the plant with the leaves.
    Is there any way to save my plant? I know nothing about houseplants as of now. Can new roots grow if i stick it the head in the dirt? Will the head with the leaves just grow back in time? I really hope I can salvage this plant :*(
    Thanks

2. seahawks2884

seahawks2884 Member

You could try some rooting compound with a clean angled cut and place it in some well drained potting soil ,keeping it moist till you see some new growth. Not exactly sure but sounds like a needle dracaena.You might have some hope if this is the plant as they will grow new shoots from the stalk as long as it is not mushy to the touch.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

is there anyway u can get a pic of it so we know what kind of plant it is .. that way we know wich way to root it .. if possible .. or mayb google it on the net if u can
    or try this link and look thru all the plants to see if u can see yours ..just click thru all the alphabets ..

http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/nav/listing.htm

let us know if u find it ..and what it is ..

good luck

Marn

4. Noxypig

Noxypig Member

I looked through the pictures and I think it is this kind: Dracaena marginata
    I really hope there is something I can do to save it...any suggestions would help but keep in mind I am clueless when it comes to plant terminology (what is rooting compound?)
    thanks

5. Noxypig

Noxypig Member

Hi again lol
    I've been frantically searching and I found this:

"Q: I have a dracaena marginata that is about 3 feet tall with a very thin cane. It appears to be healthy but it is not strong enough to stand upright alone. Should I use a stick to support it? (E-mail reference)

A: You can but I would look to the future and consider making that spindly cane into several propagules, which are called Ti trees. Cut the cane into 3 inch sections and insert the end closest to the roots into a rooting medium. Be sure to keep it moist. These pieces will eventually root, then you might get new, stronger growth coming from the mother plant. You might try providing that new growth with more light -- near an east or west window."

So does that mean that if I put both pieces in the soil it will grow roots? sorry for making you spell it out for me, but I didnt realize how much i cared about this plant until I decapitated it :\
    thanks for patience

6. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

1) you can stick the top in well drained soil, keep moist and care for it and with some luck you'll have a nice plant. If you have have about 4" of stalk you chances are good. You may have to take some leaves off as no leaves should be burried. Of course some IBA will improve your chances, but these can be done without IBA. Some might suggest starting the roots in water -- this ail work but the water must be changed weekly as oxinated water is needed. This emthod would only be to starts the roots and as soon as nodules form I highly recomend planting it.
    2) the "stick that is left probably has good roots so if you care and feed it, it should get new shoots.
    3) As already suggested, the stalk can be cut down into 4" pieces and propagated; however I would still keep some stalk on the mother plant and care for it. The stalk you propagate will need to develop both roots and stalk and so depends on the stored carbohydrates as it can produce no more without roots and leaves. This is the way the pros do it. You should do some web surfing specifics (try "propagating dracaena marginata" "dragon plant" or "Ti Plant"). I personally would do all three but it is a individual decision and understand sucess is not guarenteed.

So in conclusion, hope is just begining and welcome to plant parenthood.

7. Noxypig

Noxypig Member

Wonderful!
    thanks so much for suggestions. I think I am going to try all of them just to be safe. :D
    You guys are awesome
    thanks much

8. Marn

Hi there

rooting compound is either a powder or a gel that u can buy at walmart or stores that have a plant section .. it really helps plants start roots .. just dip it in it and plant it in dirt .. as far as a water method i never change my water i just keep adding to it .. i have found and heard that plants dont like rooting in fresh water... all my glasses and jars look like they have pulled out of a swamp all green with algae but the plants love it and root so fast in it .. i have never had a plant not root for me in my water .. even when im not rooting any plants i never dump out the water i just keep adding to it .. now i know alot of u guys are gonna turn your nose up at me but it works .. lol..

good luck with your plant

Marn

9. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

And hormone also comes in liquid concentrate like Dip and Grow (1.0 IBA + .5 NAA) that also serves a great paint remover -- powders are probably safer.

I'm not a real fan of water but it is teh easiest method for some plants. I've used tooth picks stuck into alvacados pits to keep half above water and that is part of the trick is to maintain water level with sufficient amounts above it. By adding tap water regularly you are probably adding oxygen and a bit of clorine to help kill the nasty microbes all sorts of microbes! If you took a swab of your swamp water and looked at it under a microscope, it would probably give you second thoughts. But some people have a high degree of sucessful with that method.

10. Marn

LOL.. yup that is exactly what mine is .. swamp water...lol. but i swear by it .. i will not dump mine out .. just keep adding to it .. alot of ppl have had probs with fresh water all the time .. if ya want to get some swamp water started with no plants in it .. just sit a glass or jar on a window sill with some plant food in it and it will start to turn green .. just like the plants love it ..lol

Marn

11. ananya

ananya Member

Hi,

I thought i will be helpful if i post this plant that i have at home that seems close enough to what you are describing... if this is the plant you have then I guess we are solving the problem halfway at the least.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/nanubs/Picture23.jpg

-nayana

12. Noxypig

Noxypig Member

well here's an update:
    Got something from Home depot like dip and grow, used it on plant head and on stump, and stuck them back in pot with soil. It didn't seem to be working, no new growth. Left for a couple of weeks on a trip, i had just about given up hope and thought it was dead, but when I came home a baby leaf was sprouting from near the top of the stump AND the head had begone to take root. It hadn't even been watered since i had left. I think I'll have two plants before long :D
    Thanks for help!
    ps. ananya I think that is the type I have as well :)

13. ananya

ananya Member

Hi All,

I started off on a single plant....and seem to have made a boo-boo. I recently ended up buying 4 more of these at a Walmart store fer 9.96 in all. I brought them home and re-potted them into a bigger pot than the ones they were in. Although I am aware that they shed leaves from the bottom, the four new ones seem to be doing way more shedding than what seems 'normal'. Could I please get some suggestions on what I could do to improve upon so that I dont end up killing them :) The temperature at home is much warmer than stores ... Is my plant is some kind of shock???

Any help is appreciated!!!

Before:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/nanubs/Picture23.jpg
    After:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/nanubs/Picture39.jpg
    Thanks in advance,

ananya