looking for Coffee seeds? Also Alpine Strawberry

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by zoomroom, May 9, 2009.

1. monkey

monkey Member

It is possible to get unroasted coffee beans from a local coffee supplier . For instance ,I did just that from a store in Vancouver Canada called Yoka`s on 4th ave .{if my memory serves me well ] .That was however at least 15 years ago . I don`t think I was able to get those to sprout but probably wasn`t following the right procedure . Those beans were dried . My best success since then was using a fairly high germination heat ,maybe over 30 deg. c or over 80 deg. f. . The beans that sprouted reliably from my own plants were fresh and just popped from the red berry . 2 seeds/beans per fruit/berry

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I will be patient Monkey - sounds like in a month or so you'll have a whole whack of viable beans anyway! I was just curious about the un-roasted ones. We will definitely arrange a seed trade in the very near future...

:)

3. The Hollyberry Lady

I am working on registering at the International Banana Society, lorax! I am having a problem with them allowing me access in their registration process, and had to contact them. I am sure it will be fixed shortly.

I want to join, and learn more, before I impulsively order a banana tree. I loved the pics in the link you posted, of all the dwarf varieties. Very cool. I will likely order one soon. I would like to explore and research more, because I am very serious about growing a little tree.

Thanks for all the encouragement and links, lorax.

: )

4. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Recently I just purchased some green unroasted organic coffee beans from a local roaster, and I certainly would think that most roasters would be willing to sell them as long as they didn't feel that you were threatening their roasting business with your own. But... are green coffee beans the same as white, as Lorax said? I think they are, but I'm not positive. The unroasted beans that I get are a dusty light green with almost a yellowish hint to them, smaller than the roasted type, but that is of course typical since the roasting process increases the size of the bean. And the smell of the beans... Well, perhaps a bit weedy with a hint of dirt on them in my opinion; certainly not as aromatically pleasing as after they've been roasted.

I have no idea if these beans are fertile, however if they are, then I'd assume that it would be a simple matter to get things going just by visiting a local roaster.

Banana plants... Now that's a different story. The amusing musa!

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - thanks for the information Landscaper. I am going to make some calls right now and see if those organic beans are available around here...

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

They are - green/white beans are the dried seeds, unroasted, and therefore viable. The difference, I think, is that I'm translating from Spanish (cafe blanco is the last stage of drying before the roasting process begins) and you're dealing strictly in English.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

I am going to call around tomorrow - got a little too busy today.

Also, I sent lorax a pm about it, but thought I'd mention for interest's sake...

I got some bourbon vanilla bean pods from a health store, and they are in an airtight glass vile, so they are as fresh as if they were just picked from the plant!

: O

I noticed that there were these little tiny black specks inside the pods, and upon closer inspection, realized they were seeds! I am in the process of drying some, so I can experiment and see if they'll germinate for me. Oh my goodness, if they do!!!

I even sowed a few wet seeds today as well, just to see if they'd pop anyway, undried. I know nothing about these seeds, so it's all just for fun.

I know those unroasted white or green organic coffee beans are around somewhere - we have a ton of health stores - and coffee huts. No doubt they will be expensive, but I will buy them anyway.

I will let you guys know - just have a ton going on right now...

8. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Lorax, the next time I visit my roaster I'll ask for cafe blanco just for the fun of it. I'll probably end up with a cup of cafe con leche.

And Hollyberry Lady, I googled your area and noticed some roasters listed there, such as http://www.fireroastedcoffee.com/index.html. I'd be willing to bet that besides selling you some Lorax grown cafe blanco beans, they might even give you a few.

9. lorax

If you find Ecuadorean white beans, ask after ones from the Loja province. Those are widely regarded as the best coffee produced in Ecuador.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks for the link Landscaper - I just sent them an email to see if they'll ship them to me, and what the cost is.

I called around today, and no one has them here in London!

: (

In fact one guy sounded very suspicious when I asked, and I felt like a crook! I lied and said they were for my grandmother!

I can see that these will not be easy to get around here, that's for sure. Wow.

We'll see if I get a response back about the beans from the fire roasted coffee company...

11. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I found this website, but it sells coffee for brewing. They are green and unroasted, but the smallest amount you can buy is a pound! I wouldn't mind buying them, if I had some people to help take some off my hands!
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.southamr.ecuador.php

12. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Well, I guess I could buy it, and plant some, give some away, roast the rest and have some good coffee!!

13. The Hollyberry Lady

I'll do ya one even better, Laticauda...

If you get those beans and share some with me - I will pay you for half the cost! I'm sure they're not going to be cheap, and with shipping and everything else, I will help out. We'll go dutch.

14. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

LoL, shipping actually ends up being more than the actual beans! The beans (for a pound) is $5.75, the shipping is $8.99 for up to 20 pounds. lol

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh believe me, I know all too well how much the shipping charges are - I've had enough of them for a lifetime! Greedy rotten bast**ds!!! Milking people, for all it's worth. At least going dutch, makes it seem a little more reasonable.

When you get it all worked out after taxes, let me know in email, and I will definitely send the money order in US dollars when I mail your seeds off to you. If you decide to order them that is - I don't mean to put you on the spot! It is ok, whatever you decide. Not like I don't have anything to grow over here!!! Oh man, I am in a jungle!

16. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I am wondering if the way they process the beans there, if it renders them infertile...LORAX!!! They talk on the website about different preparation methods, but I'm not sure if this effects fertility or not.

17. lorax

Don't know for sure; however the coffee coming from Puyango and Chaguarpamba will have been dried properly so you've got a very good chance of viability. They've got good taste there at Sweet Maria - Puyango Shade-Grown is considered to be one of the best blends in Ecuador. With luck, you'll get all three types of bean in the mix; Criollo or Tipico is the best of the three.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh thanks Lorax, for helping us! I knew you'd know!

P.S. I found another variety of echinacea purpurea that I just got recently in a trade - I will send ya them as well. Now all you gotta do is talk one of your many friends on IBS to share a few of thier banana seeds with me!!!

LoL - joke of course! I am just impatient, but I know good things come to those who wait...

19. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

That must be why you grow wisteria from seed!

20. The Hollyberry Lady

You too, Laticauda!

No, I love to grow everything from seed, if I can. It makes me feel like the plant is really mine, and no one else can take the credit for it! Plus seed grown plants are superior. I also love a challenge, and the thought of having a blooming wisteria one day that I grew from seed - even if it's in 15 years from now, will be incredibly satisfying and rewarding. Something to really be proud of, and look forward to. I have cuttings though too, that will bloom much sooner.

If there is one thing I can do though, it is get a plant to bloom! I don't believe my seed grown vine will take more than 6-7 years to bloom - just wait and see! Mine is being fed with no Nitrogen whatsoever, and it will be pruned consistently, and regularily to promote early blooming.

I have heard so many contradicting stories about when Wisteria will and will not bloom - that frankly I don't believe any of it! I think like anything, it depends on how the gardener cares for it.

21. lorax

I'll put a good word in for you with Tog in Malaysia, Hollyberry. He's a seed-growing nut.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

You know, I am still willing to do a trade with you, Monkey, if and when you get some viable beans. I am just impatient, and want to grow one now! I do have many seeds that you would likely enjoy, and we can discuss it further of course, when you have the beans. So very nice of you to offer.

I would still like to go dutch with Laticauda if possible though, because I know a lot of friends and family that would just love to grow one as a house plant too. I am so excited to get some viable beans - either sooner or later...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Be sure to tell him what I have to offer him in return Lorax! You know all about it, don't ya? I am willing to share anything he wants, for even just a few seeds! Thank you Lorax - I knew you had connections.

24. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Well now Hollyberry Lady, if there are roasters in London - and it looks like there are - then there must be green or aka cafe blanco beans there as well. Don't expect coffee huts or coffee shops to have them, but roasters have to start by roasting something, which I doubt would be popcorn. Sheesh! I certainly could send you some, however I wouldn't feel good about sending something that may not germinate... and that certainly could be the case. Of course you also have no guarantee of any germinating that you buy from off the Internet as well.

Ecuador Loja province coffee beans... I'll try to remember that, though I doubt the roasters around here would know anything more than what country the beans came from. This last batch of beans that I got was a mix from different places, which I had done on purpose so that I could emulate a very good blend of coffee. Gosh, I might be contaminating Loja beans with Sumatra beans.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Nope, I called a couple of roasters and they said that none of their roasters in Canada offer them! Although Laticauda and I are going dutch, and ordering some viable beans, I would like to have a few of yours too Landscaper, just to see if I can get them to pop. If not, no big deal, but I am great at germinating seeds.

Would you be interested in anything of mine in exchange? Have a look in the trading section, at my 'seeds you have, and seed you want' thread, and let me know if there's anything on my list that you would be interested in...

Last edited: May 25, 2009