Grass-like plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by lanarkcp, May 14, 2009.

1. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

Just an aside -- I live in a rural area, where the dial-up lines are fifty years old. The static often results in line drops in the middle of a transmission. I have made three attempts, so if a duplicate or partial message shows up in addition to this one, I apologize.

I am trying to identify a grass-like plant that appeared in the yard last year. It grows in bunches, fanning out slightly at the top. It stops growing at about 15cm and does not appear to flower. It is a dark green--much richer looking and thicker than ordinary lawn grass. I am not trying to get rid of it, as it makes a nice transition between grass and forest. I have attached a photo, but the connection may not be maintained long enough for it to upload.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I have the same plant in my garden and took the following pics, then did some research and discovered that itis Star of Bethlehem, they multiply lke crazy, I was given a dozen bulbs 7 years ago (was never told what thy were) and this is what I have now, they'll bloon in about a month. They ave a white streak that goes down the center of each leaf.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      133.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      133 KB
      Views:
  4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

mine are blooming now.

5. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

We're a little behind you in the growing season, on the East coast of Canada.

6. joclyn

yes, a little behind. not much though and you should be seeing these blooms within a week or two :)

7. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I hope so, it's been so cold and wet this spring, when these bloom I can see them from my front window, a welcomed sight.

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I transplanted some bulbs I found in a drain gully.....they thrived like mad this spring but now are dying off. Sad. They have a beautiful greenage to them even when the blooms aren't visable but they have a spectacular display when they ARE blooming!

9. joclyn

i agree!! they are spectacular when in bloom!!! it's a shame the flowers don't last longer because they ARE so lovely!

someone planted some around one of the trees at the post office - spaced equally distant all around it. i was not expecting to see them (they're new this year) the other day and they look so, so pretty in bloom - bunches of five in such a nice, neat ring around the tree!

10. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

I was way off thinking it was some sort of grass. I will seperate the bulbs in the fall to spread them out and share some.

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Just to give you an idea what only a few of the bulbs/corms can do?
    I burried several little ones...no more then marble size early this spring. For 2 weeks they bloomed spectacularly. If you decide to use them for gardens I suggest a light ground covering flower like Baby's Breath plus taller flowers like Iris to 'fill out' the area they're planted in to help fill in after the blooms and 'grass' die off.

Attached Files: