Wisteria vine green & brown bugs

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by minxy, May 10, 2009.

1. minxy

minxy Member

I just noticed I have a winged approx. 1/4" mostly green with brown on it's back eating the leaves on my wisteria vines down to the vein. Any suggestions as to what insecticide I can use to get rid of it? Also, I just planted these vines, is it true it's going to take 3 to 5 yrs before they bloom? Anything I can do to promote blooming earlier? Thank You

2. erika777

erika777 Active Member

I can only help with the blooming question: It depends on what kind of wisteria you got and how well it will grow in your area. Things you can do to promote blooms is to AVOID fertilizer, epecially nitrogen (the first number) because nitrogen will make the vine grow lots of foliage and no blooms. But, you can give it superphophate now (around late spring time). I would wait until after the first frost to give it it's first good prune. Don't be afraid to prune it hard (wisteris NEEDS hard pruning to bloom) there are websites to show you how to prune, but basically take the shoots back to the second or third bud because it is there that the blooms will come up, and think about making it grow horizontally instead of vertically. Next year you can prune it in late summer by pruning any super long shoots back. From then one, prune twice a year (once after the frost, and once in summer). It's sad, but wisteria will bloom if you abuse them, so whatever you do, don't "baby" it. In a couple of years (if you still don't have blooms) you should root prune by driving your shovel into the ground about 2 feet from the main area--do this all the way around the wisteria.
    cheers.