Cupressus Arizonica var Glabra Raywood's Weeping

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by chloeb, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chloeb

chloeb Member

I would like to try this in a new bed I'm planting. Does anyone have any experience with it in the Lower Mainland? How much sun does it need? I am reluctant to buy one if it won't do well.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Full sun and good drainage for cypresses. This species has little shade tolerance.

3. chloeb

chloeb Member

Thanks for that. Do you have any experience of this particular tree? How fast growing is it ?

4. Ron B

I've seen a couple small ones recently planted elsewhere but have not grown it myself. Other cultivars develop fairly rapidly.

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Unlikely to survive our climate zone... I've tried it since 1986..... sorry.. too wet and too cold!

6. chloeb

chloeb Member

Sorry you haven't been successful but glad you've saved me. What medium/large sized blue conifers have you found do well ? I have wel drained soil sun /part shade zone 7.

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

What about an Alberta Blue Spruce?

or an Abies procera?

or an Abies lasiocarpa?

8. Ron B

Arizona cypress is quite hardy. One in Carson, WA, in the southern Cascade Mountains was 68' tall during 1990. Another, in Seattle was 63' tall a few years ago; about the same time a 'Blue Pyramid' in the Seattle arboretum had reached 35'. Such conspicuously colored forms are pretty regularly offered by local outlets.

9. chloeb

chloeb Member

Does anyone know where I might locate Abies lasiocarpa in the Lower Mainland? Where is a good place to shop for conifers ?

10. Ron B

Subalpine fir is prone to bugs at low altitudes in local gardens and deteriorates over time, becoming quite homely. As does Noble fir. And most spruces. The winters here aren't cold enough to kill off aphids and other sucking pests that plague these cold climate trees when they are planted outside of the realm of frigid winters.

11. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

We have a wooded lot in Seattle and about 10 years ago we had to take out all of the subalpine firs due to balsam wooly adelgids. The grand firs and noble fir were okay but now my noble is infested. I've been using a Bayer systemic on my spruces to combat spruce aphids so I'm going to give that a shot with the noble fir. Luckily the majority of my trees are Douglas firs and Western Redcedars. They seem to be immune to almost everything. I'll not plant any more Englemann spruces or firs!