nicomekl river oak identification

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Tbolivar, May 4, 2009.

1. Tbolivar

Tbolivar Member

Hello Everyone

I live in Langley City, Langley BC and frrequently walk the Nicomekl river trails. There are some large Oak (Quercus) along the river banks, near 203rd St. along the SW bank. There are many saplings and others up along all the tributaries and low areas. Spread around by the squirells I would guess.

Some of these trees are large crowned and some are quite pyramidal in shape. They hang onto their leaves for half of the winter if not all winter. They tend to turn brown with no distinctive color in the fall. They have shallow, opposite lobes about 4-6" long. I will attach images after my next ride or walk.

My thought is they're probably Quercus Robur, and maybe 'Fagistiata' thrown in there. Some of them are quite large, maybe 10-15m heigh. The only reason I ask is because we have an abundance of squirels around and my kids love to watch them climb up and down the trees.

I grow bonsai and have quite a few of them potted up for a forest plantings. I decided to plant on in the front yard to grow for shade, and thus my interest. I was curious what variety these may be. Any first hand knowledge by anyone living in Langley?

Thanks everyone.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does sound like English oak. You could certainly find a more exciting (good fall color etc.) shade tree at a nursery. And since it is behaving as a weed near you...

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

It's true about the fall color. But from a gardening standpoint, there is hardly anything comparable to the light, airy shade beneath a mature oak tree (or trees), with the added benefit that the roots go down deeply and thus do not compete so directly with perennials, shrubs, etc.

The key point in identifying a white oak (whether Q. robur or alba or other) is that the lobes are rounded, not pointy like most oaks. There is often also a grayish sort of coloration to the leaves when growing in bright sun.

The other possibility that come to mind is Q. palustris, pin oak, which also hangs onto its leaves for much of the winter, especially when young. (I think the name palustris has something to do with swamps.) Some specimens of this tree color nicely in autumn but others do not, and the tree generally does have rapid growth plus an aggressive way of seeding itself around. (White oaks by comparison tend to be slow growers by comparison.) This is also an excellent tree to garden beneath, though you'll need to lop off the lower branches, which tend to hang downward.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pin oak has not been observed going wild in the Seattle area whereas English oak "has become naturalized, even weedy" (Jacobson, Wild Plants of Greater Seattle - Second Edition) here. Our cool and dry summers do not favor eastern North American and other species adapted to hot and wet growing seasons.

5. Tbolivar

Tbolivar Member

Hello

My bonsai plantings are starting to show signs of growth now. One of them the leaves are now growing and the leaves are definitely lobed. Shallow as a matter of fact, quite red right now as they grow.

My thought is the plants are Quercus Robur, or possibly 'Quercus Robur Fagistiata'. I won't know until it starts filling out in a couple years. I planted it in a area where it'll have room to grow. 12feet in from the road, and about 25 feet from the house.

In about 10-15 years it should be a nice little tree.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tony

6. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

photos of the leaves would likely be very helpful in identifying the plant.

7. Tbolivar

Tbolivar Member

Hello

I will post images of the leaves once they mature a little farther. They are currently only 1/2" long. Probably another week will do it.

Thanks

8. Tbolivar

Tbolivar Member

Hello everyone

Here is an image of the leaves on these small trees. I know they're oak, and believe they are 'Quercus Robur Fagistiata'. Have a look.

Thanks

Attached Files: