Acer palmatum 'Beni Komachi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This little beauty successfully seduced me into spending huge amounts of time and money on Japanese maples. It was The First tree some years ago. The spring red color is incredibly intense, yet it's a delicate and feminine cultivar. The name means "beautiful red-haired little girl." I'm very partial to Beni Komachi.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I love the spring colour and the various delicate leaf shapes, photos taken May 10th. The plant is grown in a pot and is about 7 years old but still quite small.
    Beni Komachi.jpg Beni Komachi 2.jpg
    The only downside for me is that it seems to take a long time to get going properly in the spring; the growth is twiggy and fine, it doesn't look like it's growing much, and compared to other cultivars it looks weeks behind. Maybe I should give it more sun, but I dare not.

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Dear Maf, You have a lovely Beni Komachi (red-haired little girl) there. Do be patient. My Beni Komachi was the plant that seduced me into growing my JM garden to more than 450 plants, no small feat. When I kept my Beni Komachi in a container, it seemed content to stay small (about 1' tall and 2' wide) and didn't grow much in the years it spent in its pot. However, when I finally placed it in the ground, it really took off in its growth habits. Within 2 years it had quadrupled in size. Now in its third year in the ground, it's about 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide, beautiful as ever. If it's as you say "twiggy and fine", try some sane trimming and some fertilizer. You will be amazed with the results. By the way, my Beni Komachi performs beautifully in bright but filtered light (no hot direct sun).
    -Mapledia

4. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I stumbled across one at the nursery and it knocked my socks off. I've also seen it referenced in literature as being a really special tree. Maf and mapledia, sounds like you've got exciting gardens.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there have Beni komachi, Beni fushigi, and/or Phoenix?

I ask because Vertrees III states Beni fushigi is "similar to 'Beni komachi' but easier to grow, with deeper bright red foliage and not as dwarf a shrub at maturity." And in Appendix C it states about Phoenix, "This promising cultivar is similar to 'Beni fushigi' but considered to be more robust and it holds its read coloration much longer."

Can anyone out there provide comparison pictures, personal experiences, etc.?

I am trying to become a more discerning buyer and be choosy about which cultivars come home with me. I only have so much appropriate space (and only so much $) so I want to make sure I take home what will perform best for me. But then there is the consideration of availability and initial cost. In other words is it worth chasing down these new cultivars over the tried and true?

Attached Files:

5. maf

Thanks mapledia, your experience of growing Beni Komachi in a container is similar to mine, it is slow growing but seems hardy enough. I bought it about six years ago as a one year graft and since then it has grown slowly to its present size of two feet by two feet. It was wider than this, but last autumn I noticed one of the two main stems had developed a nasty lesion, so I removed the top of it as a precaution against 'tight bark' etc and to guard against Pseudonomas infection. The strongest shoots this year are coming from the formerly dormant buds on this stem, about four inches so far, see the second picture.

View attachment 59998 View attachment 59999

In the first picture you can see where it grows, sheltered from the sun by a building and generally receiving decent indirect light (and sometimes reflections from windows). Most of the rest of the garden receives too much afternoon sun for it, unfortunately. The spindly and twiggy growth is all on the left stem that I did not cut back, some weak and crossing growth was removed on this side earlier this spring. I must admit I am a reluctant pruner, and believe I would have a better shaped specimen if I was more aggressive with the secateurs. The longer side branches/twigs on this side of the tree are 15 inches or so long, the growth is twiggy, and many of the shoots are very small as you can see in the following pictures. I guess I should remove some more of the twigs, any pruning and shaping advice is gratefully received.

View attachment 60000 View attachment 60001 View attachment 60002

Unfortunately putting Beni Komachi in the ground is not an option at the minute due to lack of space, instead I plan to start repotting it annually into a slightly larger container each time. Hopefully as it builds up its rootstock it will not be so slow to get going in the springtime. I may also try some extra fertilizer, but I fear this will encourage Palmatum shaped leaves if I overdo it.

Beni Komachi is a special plant and I am determined to get the best out of it.

-

Winterhaven, I have no personal knowledge of Beni Fushigi or Phoenix, but experience tells me that when cultivars similar to an existing one are introduced it is usually because they are easier and cheaper for the trade to propogate. I believe Beni Komachi is considered difficult to graft due to the twiggy growth, and that is why it is relatively rare. If Beni Komachi "knocks your socks off" then that is the one to buy; it is twiggy and slow growing in a container, but otherwise seems hardy. Also I think it would like your relatively shady garden. As mapledia has stated, it grows quickly once in the ground; I have seen pictures in another thread of a large and healthy example grown by NJACER. (it's in one of the Beni Komachi Sport threads).

Anyone else have any photos of this wonderful maple they would like to share?

Edit: there seems to be a problem with the photographs attached to this post. They were ok when I previewed the post but now they are not. Maybe Daniel or somebody knows why and can fix it, otherwise I will upload them again tomorrow.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. winterhaven

I just bought one!

7. maf

Good choice!

Here is another attempt at uploading the pictures I tried earlier:

Beni Komachi 3.jpg Beni Komachi 4.jpg

Beni Komachi 5.jpg Beni Komachi 6.jpg Beni Komachi 7.jpg

All pictures taken today, May 11th.

Edit: It worked this time! See post number 5 for accompanying text.

8. winterhaven

In answer to my earlier questions...

There is a Beni fushigi thread in the forum at http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7393&highlight=beni+fushigi. I pm'd krautz33 and he gave me permission to pass on what he said. According to krautz33, "The difference is in the leaf shape and growth habit. My fushigi has large palmate leaves and is more upright. My komachi has smaller thiner leaves and grows more bushy."

Regarding the Phoenix, I saw it pictured at http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acppho.htm.

While both the Phoenix and the Beni fushigi are lovely, neither seem to have the cavorting leaves of Beni Komachi which is what really wowed me. Regarding BK, when looking at pictures in the VertreesIII, I thought to myself, "Ho-Hmm. Well that's cute. Nice tree." But in person I thought, "OMG, that's so cute and interesting and fun I have to have one." As nice as it looks on the forum, I like it even better in person.

So I went back to the nursery and returned an inexpensive Goshiki Kotohime (pardon the spelling if I messed up) and bought the more expensive BK. They had two, one of which was partially decapitated and then also my new baby. I really like maf's pictures (thanks, BTW) because they show off how teeny tiny and adorable the leaves are and how jaunty the tree looks.

I've included some quick shots of mine before the weather came in. I included a shot of a reverted leaf to try and give it some size perspective.

Attached Files:

9. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

here are my two trees. The first one is beni fushigi. The next two are beni komachi. My photographer skills need alot of work. They are both beautiful trees and worth a spot in any garden or collection. If anyone is near south eastern Pa. you are more than welcomed to visit.

Krautz

Attached Files:

10. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thanks krautz, appreciate the photos. It has been quite slow growing here. Apparently a Vertrees introduction

11. maf

Lovely trees Krautz, you are a bit too far away for me to pop in for a visit though. Your Beni Komachi looks like it gets some sun, how does it cope with that? Is it morning or afternoon sun?

Once again beautiful trees, thanks for sharing.

12. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I got the tree about three years ago. it was in a 5 gallon pot. It is in full sun most of the day. I have had great growth from it. The soil is also excellent where it was planted.

Krautz

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  13. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

One of the things I find most interesting about Beni Komachi is the irregularity of its leaves. Another is the splendid true red color which seems to last longer than for most JMs. The photos below are Beni Komachi on the left and Beni Fusigi on the right, both photos taken today, May 11, 2009. At least in my garden, the Beni Fusigi's color is a less bright red than BK's with almost a hint of purple (but this might be a result of its placement in my garden). Also, Beni Fusigi's leaves are uniform in shape. Hope this helps. Both are wonderful trees, but Beni Komachi makes me smile.

Attached Files:

14. maf

Looking at the pictures posted by mapledia and Krautz I see little similarity between the Beni's Komachi and Fushigi; I wonder why the Vertrees book description referenced above describes them as similar? To my eyes Beni Fushigi is closer to, say, Chisio Improved than it is to the incomparable Beni Komachi. I have never seen any other cultivar with the same combination of colour and abstract leaf shapes.

As for my plant I think I might risk it with more sun to try and boost its growth.

15. winterhaven

What should be done about reversions?
    Hubby found two BK's each about six feet tall. But the lower half of each tree displays red palmate leaves. They're tempting, but not at the list price in their current condition if I'm going to need to lop of major branches.

16. maf

I can't say for sure, but it's probably just a result of heavy use of fertilizer at the nursery, and those branches will show the normal (ie abnormal) shaped leaves next year. A bit like some linearlobums etc do. Even those trees subjected to very little fertilizer (like mine) throw out the occasional palmate leaf.

17. winterhaven

Thanks, maf. And thanks mapledia and krautz33 too for all the great information.

I talked with the JM Guy at the nursery and he said...
    1. They have had those two trees for a number of years.
    2. The reverted parts have been reverted for more than one growing season (I didn't specifically ask, but since they've been watching the reversions hoping they would disappear I anticipate they haven't been fertilizing).
    3. He can cut me a deal on either tree. One tree looks like it would have a more pleasing shape after reversions are removed. So a good deal on the better shaped tree or a smoking deal on the uglier one.

Also V.III says that the reverted parts are similar to Shin deshojo and I really enjoy that cultivar. So because of the price discount I'll probably pick one up. Worst that can eventually happen is that I'll have a nice sized Shin deshojo looking tree at less than what that would normally cost.

Edit:
    BTW, when looking for something else in V.II I stumbled across this in regard to reversions in variegating...
    "I have repeatedly made grafts of "non-cultivar" tips.... In every case, the second season graft produced the type-foilage of the cultivar."

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  18. maf

Interesting, I didn't realise there was a possibility of permanent reversion with Beni Komachi. (I'm still using Vertrees II until IV is released.)

If the price is right those trees would be a good purchase either way.

19. winterhaven

I'm going to pick up my tree today!

maf - re: possible permanent reversion, Vertrees/Gregory didn't explicitly say that the reversions would be permanent.

The exact quote from V.III is "Occasional reversions occur when the leaves are very like those of 'Shin deshōjō', which suggests it may be a sport from the cultivar."

Davidsans Japanese Maples at http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/shop/product/beni_komachi/ wrote, "Needs to be trimmed of any reversion."

And the nursery has apparently had these two trees since 2005 and been unsuccessful at rehabilitating the limbs. Their advice, cut them off.

The Vertrees quote "I have repeatedly made grafts of "non-cultivar" tips.... In every case, the second season graft produced the type-foilage of the cultivar" is from Vertrees 2nd ed and is located on page 50. I took from that passage that he was trying to convey that he took reverted tips of variegates and when he grafted them they showed the variegated characteristics that had previously appeared lost.

And of the two trees, one had some reversion showing in the crown in addition to multiple other locations and the other had the reversions isolated in two lower (but large) branches. He said (over the phone) that regarding the one with more reversion I could have it for 50% off. Before I'd seen them again in person with time to actually look at the structure I was trying to convince myself to go with the less expensive tree which is why I speculated, "Ah, worst that happens I get a nice size Shin deshōjō like tree at a great price." But after seeing the structure, I went with the tree he knocked 30% off.

As it stands, I returned the little tree that was two feet tall and I'll be getting a tree that's five + feet tall for only twice as much as the little one. Maybe I'll try my first air-layering experiment on the large reverted limbs and stick whatever grows, if anything, in the ground someplace else. I'll post pics of the new kid tomorrow.

Edit: Adding photos and information after acquisition and planting of the new tree.

OK. After having time to really look at the tree, the structure isn't that much better than the less expensive one. But it is 6" to a foot taller and slightly larger in caliper - about five and 1/2 feet tall. So I feel OK about my decision.

It, too, has some reversions in the crown. But interestingly, the large lower limbs that are reverted have non reverted leaves at the tips. I've included pictures. So I have to wonder if given time the tree might calm down.

Further as I was loosening and spreading roots from the root ball in order to plant the tree, I found a LOT of slow release fertilizer. It looks like the tree was grown in clay, then put in a mix of potting soil with an enormous amount of slow release fertilizer (yellow pellets), then potted up with more fertilizer (teal pellets). Poor tree has been pushed way too hard way too often. It is now in the ground in a fresh layer of organic topsoil. It will be interesting to see what it does next Spring.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  20. winterhaven

I, too, wondered. But mapledia's post was very helpful pointing out leaf irregularity in BK and slight color variation.

New data: saw a tree at the new nursery and recognized it as BK - walked over to check the price and get a feel good for my "bargain" but the tag read Beni fushigi. I'll post photos when I can. But be forewarned, they were taken with the camera phone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  21. maf

Winterhaven, my bet is it will be back to being Beni Komachi all over next year. It seems they have to put it on "steroids" at the nursery to make a large sized plant, and then wonder why it is reverting. When I first looked at your pictures I thought there were two different maples planted in the same hole, I was stunned by the difference. If the branches do change back, as I hope, then you will have an excellent large tree and a good bargain too.

Hmm... my Beni Komachi is starting to look a little puny, maybe I should get it some of those yellow and teal pellets....

-

Re the similarity between Beni Fushigi and Beni Komachi: I can see the resemblance between them in that last picture taken at a nursery, but some of the pictures of Beni Fushigi leaves posted earlier in this thread did not look anything like Beni Komachi. Researching further, Ganshuku, Maillot and Esveld all show leaves that look similar to Beni Komachi, although not as varied or as nice. Just like the tree at the nursery.

22. maf

In june, the older leaves of my Beni Komachi change to a beautiful mottled green, which contrasts nicely with the crimson of the new shoots.
    Beni Komachi 8.jpg

23. campbtl

campbtl Member Maple Society

A question: could the 'reversions' of Beni Komache be caused by overly vigorous rootstock for that cultivar? Beni Komache is pretty delicate--could the problem be caused by grafting it onto vigorous green rootstock? Maybe it would 'stay put' better if grafted on red? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know this is an old thread--I'm trying to work my way through rootstock effects.

24. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I think you could be on to something about the rootstock affecting the reversions, but I don't know myself.

I don't know but I suspect that beni komachi is either a variegated sport or variegated seedling of shin deshojo or a similar cultivar.

I also wonder if a true beni fushigi has the same type of variegation, but originated from a different parent.

If you look very close there is a very fine edge of variegation on the edge of the leaf of BK, and with any variegated plant a chance of reversion is possible. This would also explain why several images of beni fushigi have a very smooth typical palmate leaf; perhaps the scion had reverted to the original shin deshojo or chishio type palmatum before grafting.

My reasoning for the variegation theory is that I have seen this hairline variegation in a couple of other situations. I have an atropurpureum seedling that had this variegation on half of some of its leaves, and those leaves had that same distorted and shrunken edge. I have also seen this sport on an acer rubrum, which has the same atypical leaf shrunken and distorted...in fact the leaf almost looks like a trident maple leaf because of the size change and distortion.

Just my suspicions, but always fun to discuss.

25. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have found the same leaf coloring reversions on both my Ap 'Beni Komachi' and Ap 'Beni Fushigi'. I do not think it has to do with the root stock since I am finding the reversions in old specimens. The reversions will overgrow an area and basically eliminate the cultivar.