Total sun!!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rclyne, May 9, 2009.

1. rclyne

rclyne Member

I'm on a large piece of property with zero shade - every year we try planing flowers, but it seems without shade, no matter what we plant - seems to die- before I go and make my annual $300.00 donation to the local garden depot does anyone have any suggestions on a colorful flower they does well in direct sun??

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

You could plant perrenials like Daylilies, Asiatic and Oriental lilies, Peonis, Glads are pretty if you don't mind digging the bulbs in the fall, but as inexpensive as they are you could leave them in the ground and get new oes every year. Dahlias like the sun.

3. rclyne

rclyne Member

I'll give it a shot! Thank you!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

peony love and need full sun and they need the winter cold to bloom well - so, very good choice for you.

ditto daylily, oriental and asiatic lily. glads, too. they get tall and need staking. and they will have to be pulled up and stored before winter hits and then replanted in spring.

iris - bearded type do very well in full sun. they like kind of dryish conditions and need good drainage. siberian iris - some like full sun and they need moister conditions.

coneflower, black eyed susan and daisy all do excellent in full sun. coneflower and daisy are perennial. some bes are, too - some are annuals and some are biennial. they reseed easily, so, even annuals should give you repeat plants - either on their own or with a little help from you in the form of collecting seeds in fall for planting the following spring.

stonecrop sedum does excellent in full sun - they bloom in fall. autumn joy is a commonly found variety and they've recently been offering other types with different leaf color (reds and purples).

columbine- there are annual and perennial types.

bushes:

spirea - comes in regular (very tall) and dwarf types (2 feet or so). butterfly bush might be something else to try. also beautyberry and lilac (although both can get large).

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Portulaca.

7. Candy

Candy Active Member

If you've had repeated plant deaths, you might also consider that you've got some other problem. How's your soil? How's the drainage? You might consider looking for some native plants.

If you like the idea of dahlias, but don't like the idea of digging...don't. I plant my dahlias very deep (bottom of the shovel (8-10") in very well drained soil, and they live through our very wet winters.

8. WillP

WillP Member

Thank you KBaron! I have not heard the term xeriscaping before, and it will help me define to nurseries what I am trying to do!