Containers for tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by TimA, May 2, 2009.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

I'm pretty new to growing food, but this year I'm going to try tomatoes on my balcony. My question is, do we think it's okay, safe to use those large (for restaurants) white tubs, or is there a danger they would leach toxic chemicals?
    thanks,

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

If you are going to use those white tubs make sure you sterlize them and rinse thouroughly, but you wil also have to make holes in the bottom for drainage. You're better off getting a couple of large planters with saucers which can be emptied in the fall and then stored, they'll also look nicer then the white tubs. If you go with planters make sure they're large enough , if you are growing full size tomato plants.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Sometimes though, people can't always afford expensive pots with saucers, and just want to be resourceful.

My mom used the big 5 gallon muffin-mix pails from Tim Horton's one year, after washing them out. She made drainage holes on the bottom, and she used the lids as little saucers! They worked out magnificently! They were even attractive, because she cleaned them so thoroughly. They were white pails.

Tim Horton's has 2 & 5 gallon pails. Just call them before-hand, and ask the baker to put some pails aside for you - they only throw them out anyway! The 5 gallon pails are great for deep rooting veggies.

: )

4. TimA

TimA Active Member

Exactly THL, it's also about salvaging a little of the vast quantities of plastic we send to the landfill. I've got them going in 16litre mayonnaise tubs, not that pretty it's true though...

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, if you want something a little more nice, the timmie's pails are great - and free! You might like them better than your mayonaise containers. The plastic is very hard and strong too.

Good luck with all your plantings.

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Guys I'm a complete amateur at growing tomatoes. I do have some 5 gal pails and a little sunny space. What varieties of tomatoes would give a decent and tasty yield from a 5 gal bucket? I would be more into very tasty vs high yield, but I'd try anything.

Appreciate your suggestions.

7. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I realize large pots can be expensive and I'm all for recycling, that' why I've been using the same large urn style pots for growing my hot pepper plants for the last 15 years, The reason I like the large urn style pots is that I can get several plants in them instead of one plant per pot as would be the case in a large bucket.

8. The Hollyberry Lady

I would grow determiate varieties, as opposed to indeteriminate vine types. As far as specific varieties? There are thousands! You just have to decide on a type that sounds appealing to you, and check it out! That's how I did it.

Depends too, if you're growing from seed or from nursery plants. I would check out what they are selling at your local nursery because they often have varieties that grow well in your specific climate, especially. Worth checking out. If you like them, collect your own seeds from the tomatoes, for next year!

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Depends too though, what you're putting in the bucket! With a tomato plant - one would be advisable, yes. My mom stuffed one bucket full though, of many flowering annuals, and a little alpine strawberry plant too! It was beautiful, and overflowing with blooms and berries.

10. Poetry to Burn

Thanks for info and ideas. Is a fast draining media the way to go? Sounds like if i were to put lots of other plants in the bucket something with more weight and density like garden soil mix might be better. Will the tomatoes flavor depend on how I fertilize the soil? My tomato growing buddy insists that using humate makes an immense difference in the flavor of veggies esp tomatoes.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, fast draining soil is best. I use miracle grow soil, and sunshine soil-less mix, in all my containers.

Also yes, I believe there may be some truth to better taste, depending on what they are grown in. I wouldn't get too hung up on that though - a cheap bag of manure does wonders even. Experiment - try new things!

12. Poetry to Burn

Appreciate HBL.

I'd be thrilled to have some homegrown tasty tomatoes. Of course when mine are ripe so are all the other tomatoes that show up at the excellent farmers markets in Philly and S. NJ!

13. JanR

JanR Active Member

I am planning on growing some tomatoes and peppers in 5 gallon buckets this year. As someone suggested I would check and see what varieties are available locally at a garden centre near you. They should be able to advise you as to which ones taste good. Preferences very a lot on taste. Some people like a more acidic tomato and some people like very sweet ones. If you have never had home grown tomatoes before, any of them will taste good. :) Get a few different varieties and find out what you like.

Good luck!

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Nothing wrong with that - indulging in the fresh summer produce available at the farmer's markets! I suggest growing special tomatoes, like heirloom types, that are unique and exceptional in flavor.

For buckets though, heirlooms will likely be too big, as most are indeterminate types. I agree, that if this is your 1st time - you don't need to be too fussy. They will be delicious!

15. galiano

galiano Active Member

Here's a suggestion for you. Go to your local nursery and make a list of the tomato plants they sell then go home and look at this site : http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

It is done by Cornell University and it rates and describes almost every variety of every vegetable you can think of including dozens of tomato varieties. I have found it to be really useful.

BTW if you want a really good cherry tomato for growing in containers I would suggest Sweet 100. Easy to grow and huge numbers of tasty cherry tomatoes on each plant.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you for the great link! I noticed I had nearly all the top 10 most popular varieties!

Yes, I have grown sweet 100 before, and sweet million. Both are awesome. Thanks for all your suggestions.

17. Poetry to Burn

Great info thanks so much.

18. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Here's a tomato bonanza growing tip...

for each container, add a quarter bag of mushroom manure, or steer manure to the potting medium,.... your tomatoes will grow like stink!

Be sure to plant the tomato at 2/3rds deep... then add more manure/soil mix to the pot as the plant grows taller! You can then add herbs to the planter too! Basil etc...

Sunniest place on the balcony is a must too!

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks for sharing your way of doing things! Sounds great!