Bulbs, seeds and hardiness zones

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Canadianplant, May 8, 2009.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

I recently bought some seeds for my moms garden. She just germinated her cape daisies, and at the moment, I am planning to put out some "carribean fantasy" dahlias, and some "stargaser" oriental lilys. I also got her some "cathedral bell" vine seeds as well as "cypress vine" seeds. I cant find out any hardiness information on them at all. The lilies and the dahlias can be dug up and stored for the winter, but Im not sure about the daisies or the other 2 vines.

If anyone knows the hardiness zones for these plants, or any info, id greatly appreciate it

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I'm not sure about most of your plants at the momemt but do know the Stargazer lily can stay in ground over the winter in zones 3-8. If your bulbs are planted in a sheltered area mulching them in the fall should be enough, I believe you may be in the 3b zone.

3. Canadianplant

Unfortunalty no one really gives me a straight answer for the zones here. I am close to the lakehead, so i belive we are a bit warmer then they are, say 10KM inland. My grandma has a confirmed 5b in her back yard growing wistiria vine for 10 years (although it hasnt flowered yet), I belive i have 2 similar micro climates, one may even me a 6a or 6b as there is never snow there, and the grass is usualy green year round.

As to the lillies, I am assuming i can plant them anytime now....... oh I also jsut noticed i never changed my city.. I am in thunder BAy ontario now.... Thanks so far

4. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

yes you can plant your lilies now.

5. Canadianplant

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Canadianplant,

Cathedral bell vine and cypress vine are annuals. Cape Daisy aka Osteospermum aka African Daisy are only hardy to about zone 9.

You should be able to find your hardiness zone from this map.
    http://nlwis-snite1.agr.gc.ca/plant00/index.phtml

Newt

7. Canadianplant

i figured as much for the daisy and the vines.. But if i plant them in a pot or dig them up in the winter.. they should survive the winter indoors correct???

8. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Annuals live their lives in one year. They grow from seed, bloom, set seed and die. You might be able to harvest the seeds to replant next year.

Newt

9. Canadianplant

thats what i was thinking, byt here alot of plants are called annuals, but in other places there perennials. thanks for the help guys