Help Me Indentify This Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by NyxLimit, May 4, 2009.

1. NyxLimit

NyxLimit Member Maple Society

I thought it was 'Seiryu', bacause at the nursery they said so, but after looking for pictures on the internet it doesn't look to be 'Seiryu'. So, can anyone tell me wich type of 'Acer Palmatum' this can be?

Attached Files:

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yeah, it's definitely not a 'Seiryu.' Does it have a graft line near the base? Have you seen what color the leaves turn in fall? To me it almost looks like a species palmatum - but the leaves are a bit rounded and the basal lobes point backwards a bit.

3. NyxLimit

I don't much about it, because i bought it this year. So i can't know the fall color yet.

And no, it isn't grafted i think. In my 1st view there are no graftin lines, but i'm not sure

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably a seedling then, in which case just Acer palmatum, with no cultivar name.

5. NyxLimit

After looking around, i think it shows similarities with 'Sharp's Pygmy' or maybe 'Orange Dream', but i'm not sure.
    It can be just a 'Palmatum' too. If it is just a 'Palmatum', how large will it grow?

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Acer palmatum typically reaches 5-10m tall, rarely up to 15m.

7. NyxLimit

Ok, thats quite huge if it's really just an 'Acer Palmatum'. Big difference with now...

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

It looks a lot like my Acer Palmatum "Sango Kaku" or Coral Bark Japanese Maples. It looks as if the some of the upper stems are red tinged. If the bark is red it may be a Coral Bark. I believe they are the only specimen with this unique bark trait, thus giving it the name Coral Bark.

9. NyxLimit

After I looked it up, I think it's a Sangu Kaku. But i'm not sure yet. I hope other people can give opinions about it. If it's a Sangu Kaku, how large will it grow, maybe i have to plant it somewhere else.

10. MapleMadness

MapleMadness Active Member

Nyx, it doesn't have the red of 'Sango Kaku'. If you can post a picture of the base of the tree that will clarify if it is grafted or from seed. If it's from seed it's going to be the species Acer palmatum and grow to be a large tree, but to clarify so will 'Seiryu' and Sango Kaku'.

11. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

I have 5 coral barks and some of them looked very similiar to your photos. Not all of them have a lot of red in them. The red seems to increase in the winter months when the leaves have fallen away. I will have to take some photos of my trees to post so you can see them. If your tree is indeed a Coral Bark, according to the information I received on my trees, the average size is 20'T x 18' W, water regulary as needed, cold hardiness: -10 degrees to 20 degrees F and sun exporsure is part sun. I just planted my latest coral bark last week and it doesn't have as much color as the ones I have owned for the last 2 years.

12. NyxLimit

This are pictures of the side and base, the second picture is not so clear but i hope it's clear enough.

It's still very small because i bought it just a month ago.

Attached Files:

13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

With respect to hunterwrdlf, I see no indication that this is a Sango kaku, on the contrary.

On the subject of eventual size of Acer palmatum, there is wide variation within the species, and cultural practices will have an effect too. Or of course you could always root prune... :)

I can't tell if there's a graft mark from the second picture, but even within the species there's a great amount of polymorphism; so some variation in leaf shape is to be expected, As the large number of cool seedling pictures in the forum attests.

Accurate identification of this type of green palmatum is, uh, difficult with any certainty!

-E

14. NyxLimit

The second picture is really unsharp, I'll try to post an sharper picture later on.

15. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

We are getting a lot of much needed rain right now. As soon as I can get out and take a few photos, I will show you pictures of my Coral Barks. I really have no expert advice to offer. It seems that emery may have more assistance to offer. My opinion is based strickly on visual. I know what I own are Coral Barks and yours appears very close to what I have. As soon as I can, I will send the photos. If you do not see any red branches at all, it most likely is not a coral bark. I thought I saw tinges of red on the upper branches of your tree. The leaves really look like the ones on my tree. I will do my best to send you some photos today.

Blessings

16. NyxLimit

I returned to the nursery, and now they say it's an Acer Palmatum 'Little Princess'
    I hope it is, because it's really confusing...

17. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

I'm glad you've identified it. I took some pictures of my trees for you but I misplaced my USB cord to download them to my computer. Hopefully I will locate it soon so I can forward them to you. Your trees really look a lot like the ones I have. They're in the same family, so if their not the same, maybe they're cousins. (smile)

Blessings

18. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

Ok. Finally, as promised. Here are the pictures of my coral barks. Let me know if you think your trees look like mine.

Blessings.

Attached Files:

19. NyxLimit

It had been a while, and now i can say for sure it's the 'Little Princess' cultivar after taking the pictures to a local nursery.

20. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I don't mean to be negative, but I would be hesitant to say for sure that it is Little Princess. My main reasoning is the fairly obvious lack of a graft union. If it was the same nursery that you got if from that told you it was Little Princess, then that may be the case because they may have obtained it from a rooted cutting. Otherwise I would be hesitant to slap a name on it until I had a properly labeled Little Princess next to it for comparison for at least a year. There are at least 30 common cultivars with that leaf shape that could confuse even an experienced maple grower at first glance.