European White Birch Trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by hunterwldrf, May 4, 2009.

1. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

Hello. I am a newcomer and this is my first post. I recently purchased to "Betula Pendula Delecarlica " or European Birch trees. I am concerned about borers which I have read can be a problem with these trees. I have received mixed information regarding the planting them in full sun vs. partial shade. I would like to plant them in partial shade in an area that is moist (not soggy) in my landscape. My husband used Bayer Systemic Insectside to ward off possible borers. I live in zone 7 and I get strong afternoon sun in my back yard. The area I wish to plant them in is protected from the harsh sun. Any information would be much appreciated as I would like the site chosen to be their permanent home.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant sold under this name is 'Laciniata'. 'Dalecarlica' is different and not generally available. Out here 'Laciniata' thrives in hot climate of eastern WA, making more handsome specimen than frequently homely examples seen here in cool western WA. So, I would plant in full sun. Most birch species are pioneer trees in nature, popping up after major disturbance like fire has cleared away the forest, and gradually dying out as other species return to the site and shade them.

3. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

Thanks for your response. Do think this tree will be unattractive in my landscape. I can plant it in a sunny space but it will be very strong sun. I was attracted to the white bark, weeping branches and height of this tree, but if it is going to be a difficult tree to maintain or a short lived tree, I would rather know now before I plant it and exchange it for something else. I'm looking for a tree that likes partial shade, weeping, with interesting bark and doesn't mind wet feet. I have two corkscrew willows I could plant in this area and plant the birches on the sunny side. I'm rambling now. HELP! (smile)

4. Ron B

Willows also require full sun.

5. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

Well, I guess I will just leave them where they are. As for the European Birch trees, do you think I'm in over my head with these trees? I am a beginner and I don't want to put something in my yard that has the potential of becoming a problem I am not equipped to handle. Ideally, I would like to plant them in partial afternoon sun (the strongest sun of the day for me) and the area is moist. Do you think they will survive here with no problem or would you suggest that I make another choice. Thanks for your help.

Blessings

6. Ron B

Not possible to provide assurances without even viewing the site. If liable to be bored out there that is certainly a major limitation right off. High water tables can also be severely limiting, although it is possible spots not too damp for the birch are available there.

7. hunterwldrf

hunterwldrf Member

Thanks so much. It all sounds to complicated for a beginner. I may just make another selection. Thanks again for you help.

Blessings.

8. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

European White Birch Trees won't grow in Zone 7. Just too hot for them.
    I've tried several times, but finally had to give up.

Ray