Grafting Question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by amaneser, Apr 28, 2009.

1. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

I was wanting to try grafting my own fruit cocktail tree. I live in Az and they do not ship them here. I read that they have to be the same species for it to work. I have some palo verde and mesquite trees here that i didnt want. Is there any way to use those for the roostock and graft onto them? Is this even possible. Or does it have to be citrus on citrus and so on? Also is it true the time to do it is right before spring? I guess i just would like some more info on grafting if anyone could share some light on the subject. Thanks

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

the plants have to be in the same species and close enough related to be graft compatable. so yes citrus o citrus. but some other species are a little more complicated plums apricots necterines and peaches are graft compatable but in the same family is apples and they are not graft compatable with any of the others. as to what type of graft and when how and all that it takes research and learning i started with cleft grafts and started with tropical hibiscus just to get the technique down but they are one of the easiest plants to graft so when you move into other species sometimes you get more learning experiance than success. i have been grafting things for about 6 years and i still have trouble grafting some species that others say are the easiest to graft as to the type of graft that is all personal preferance i like cleft or side vaneer and a few variations. some like the bud or chips grafting and there are more types of grafts out there. i use the 1/2 green tie tape and it works fine for me some prefere to use the grafting tapes some prefere the parafilm grafting tapes. i got lucky in that i am in the rare fruit council and a few of our meetings have been on grafting so got to see and do hands on grafting before that all i had was internet and you can learn from that but it doe shelp allot to actually see someone do a graft so if you know someone in you're area than it would be a good idea to see if they will let you watch a few grafts. than you can go from there and find the type of graft you like to use and what type works best for this or that species. i am by far no expert and i still have learning experiances as aposed to succeses i rarely say it was a failure because usually i learn something from each one good luck

3. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Thanks for the positive outlook. I was just wondering because i moved to az from kansas. There are 15 acres where i moved and really dont like some of the trees on this land. There was a palo verde that was mostly dead. It only had one branch on it still alive. I didnt know if i could graft onto that or not, I really didnt think i could but it never hurts to ask.