Identification: bulbous leafed air (?) plant ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by medbiker, May 1, 2009.

1. medbiker

medbiker Member

Hi, I bought this a couple of years ago at a cactus store in Los Angeles. They didn't know what it was, and it only had two leaves growing out of some coconut husk. It's grown considerably, and has started to flower pretty regularly. I wanted to split some off and replant it, but didn't know how, and I couldn't figure out what kind of plant it is. It seems to be an airplant, as it does fine with me only occasionally dunking it in some water. I don't know if the structures on the leaf ends are flowers or seeds. they dry up and fall off and are hard. The larger leaves are about 3 inches long, and the flowers/seeds are about 5-7mm long. The new leaves are thick and more or less oval or circular, and seem to grow into the banana shaped larger leaves (very irregular banana shaped)
    thanks
    fred

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
  2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. medbiker

medbiker Member

cool, amazing how fast you figured that one out. I've been casually looking for about 2 years.
    thanks,
    Fred

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Can you post another pic when the flowers open more, or do they stay like that? I'm new to dischidia's, which is rather embarassing as I'm a hoyanista.

5. medbiker

medbiker Member

Hi Chester,
    the flowers don't open any more. they go from green to a tannish yellow then fall off. I'm assuming they have seeds in them, not just flowers, as no fruit or pods form afterward.
    anyone have any ideas about propagation? can I take a cutting and stick it in water?
    thanks,
    Fred