"hanging bamboo" - need help

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by PatriciaH, Nov 24, 2006.

1. PatriciaH

PatriciaH Member

This is my first post; my gardening is limited to a back deck and my knowledge very limited! I purchased a hanging plant, dropping 3 feet from a standard 8 inch hanging basket; it has profuse long thin narrow leaves. The people I dealt with in the nursery store were not knowledgeble about the plant as it is not normally carried by them and had been purchased by them at some kind of auction. The only information they gave me was that is was a "hangng bamboo" and they were told it would survive outdoors in winter. I live in Chilliwack and am concerned about the current weather forcast; the plant is in a semi-sheltered corner of the deck facing NW (mostly north) and I don't know whether to just leave it, try to cover it with burlap or bring it indoors if we are indeed going to get -9 degree cold. I don't know anything about bamboo and the only information I have been able to find online is on the upright 40+-foot kind. I would be grateful for your advice (other than that I shouldn't impulse-buy plants I don't know anything about!). I am going to try to send a .jpg of the plant as an attachment but I have no idea if it will work.
    with thanks,
    Patricia

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is apparently Agrostis stolonifera, a grass native to much of North America - all dressed up and planted as a hanging basket...

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

And I'll add, it should be good to -40 or below.

4. aprilball

aprilball Member

I also bought this "hanging bamboo" and was told I could keep it indoors and should leave it in the shade. I am a rather bad with plants in general and now it has turned yellow. I am watering it every day even though the soil is damp which seemed to help at first but now I'm not sure. Should I water it less or keep it in sunlight? I'd appriciate some advice so I am not embarrssed that I can even kill grass...

5. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

This looks suspiciously like kykuyu grass...If so, I would advise that you do NOT let it touch the ground...

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If it is kykuyu grass we use that for drought resistant lawns here. And yes it will take off like bamboo.
    Liz

7. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mine dried up and died in the summer heat. (note to self) I am terrible at watering hanging baskets.

Cheers, LPN.

9. wensdayswitch

wensdayswitch Member

i bought one of these as well, it is a trailing bamboo, green twist.
    hope this helps.

10. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    That is *not* a bamboo.

11. wensdayswitch

wensdayswitch Member

thank you for clarifying.