In The Garden: Another Mystery Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by vickieg, May 2, 2009.

1. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

I do not remember planting this but it is possible that I did. It is an evergreen plant with thick glossy leaves that gets clusters of small flowers hiding under it's leaves. The spots on the closeup are lime sulfur. This came up under my peach tree and it's comforting to know that after 3 months of rain in Seattle, lime sulfer still clings to the leaves. Last summer, another one came up about 10-15 feet away. I think the berries turn almost black in the fall. I assume a bird planted the second one.

Attached Files:

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Daphne

3. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

Thanks. After looking up Daphnes in a garden book, I guess it is a Daphne Laureola. So I checked out Google Images and the first picture that came up was from King County (where I live) listing it as a "Class B Noxious Weed". So much for my lovely exotic plant!! Bummer! I like it anyway!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's a pretty plant and the flowers are so delicate and lovely! things are only 'weeds' if they're bothering you...

5. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

Well I will try to keep it from spreading. Class B means I don't have to eradicate it. The flower is supposed to have a lovely scent at night so I will go out and enjoy it.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The seeds of these germinate easily and they come up all over. You might consider replacing it with Daphne odora, which smells even better or some other daphne.

7. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

I think I'll just pull it up. I already have Daphne odora and burkwoodii elsewhere in the garden. My husband works for King County Dept. of Natural Resources and after I told him about my prized plant he has been bombarding all day with e-mail from the King County noxious weed board. It's very bad form for a family member of a DNR employee to be flagrantly violating the rules.