Do I have a Chantilly Lace?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by McHoop, Apr 29, 2009.

1. McHoop

McHoop Member

I recently purchased a 4/5 year old maple from what I assume to be a reputable, well known nursery in the western US. I got it just as it was leafing out. It's now pretty much leafed out and I'm wondering if I got what I ordered.

The foliage is a deep red. Almost a burgundy wine color. This isn't what I anticipated when reading about the color. However, I did read from one source that the tree leafs out red and then starts to change to a lighter combination of orange-ish red and green.

Does this sound like the right tree? I"ve emailed the seller but haven't yet received a response. I certainly am not suggesting the seller intentionally sold me the wrong tree but I have read on this forum of past mix-ups which were honest mistakes.

McHoop

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It'd be nearly impossible to identify your tree without pictures. I don't have a Chantilly Lace with which I could compare, but I do know there are lots and lots o' dissected leaf cultivars with very similar characteristics/minor differences.

3. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

McHoop,
    My Chantilly Lace plants are newley leafed out and they are not burgundy red color, actually more of an amber orange color. I can take a photo later this week and let you compare. Off the top of my head, I believe the bark is a bit telling on Chantilly, I believe (I will check and also photograph) that it is amber with a "dirty" mottled appearance, like waterfall but more amber instead of green. Will photo and get back to you. In my opinion, 'Chantilly Lace' is very much like 'Baldsmith' in color. Both cultivars are very distinct compared to more common green and red laceleaf forms.
    Brian
    Scion Swapper

4. McHoop

McHoop Member

Here's a close-up I took this evening of the foliage. Brian.... I also have a Baldsmith and currently, it's not remotely close to that foliage. ???

McHoop

Attached Files:

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

That does NOT look like my Chantilly Lace. My CL is not red like your picture and its dissected
    leaves are more open. Go to the Maple Photo Gallery on this forum and put in Chantilly Lace in
    Search this Forum and compare your tree with the April 24 2008 photo by mattlwfowler which IS
    a CL.

6. McHoop

McHoop Member

That's what I suspected. I'm going to call the nursery tomorrow.

Thanks.

McHoop

7. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

I agree with Mike, that is definitely not 'Chantilly Lace'. That is one of the red dissectums. Best of luck,
    Brian
    Scion Swapper

8. McHoop

McHoop Member

Mystery solved! The nursery checked with their source and discovered that he had sold them grafts of a witches broom taken from a CL. Apparently, the source liked it so well he sold it to the nursery without disclosing that "minor" detail to them. They have graciously offered to send me a proper CL.

McHoop

9. katsura

My friend McHoop, I collect witches brooms and I am very hesitant to believe the information you
    have been given. There is only 1 witches broom dissectum and that is Baby Lace and your plant
    is not Baby Lace and even Baby Lace's being a witches broom is controversial, so your plant wud
    be only the 2nd dissectum witches broom which is possible but unlikely. Witches brooms have a
    specific leaf signature which is a foreshortened, spatulate center lobe of the leaf and looking closely
    at your picture I see no such signature. Now your plant could be a sport of Chantilly Lace but I
    do not believe it is a witches broom. Witches brooms have very tight close branch noding which
    makes the tree like very compact and dense. If you could take another picture of the whole tree
    that wud help enormously. If the source had produced only the 2nd commercial witches broom
    dissectum, he wud be shouting it to every maple collector like me not quietly not disclosing it.
    I wud love to know that source because if that is a CL witches broom I want to buy 1 to add to
    my collection but I do not believe it is. A 'sport' possibly but not a witches broom and you can
    quote me to your nursery manager. Send us another picture so I can see the whole tree especailly
    how close the limb nodes are spaced and how bushy/compact the tree is. Good luck.

10. McHoop

McHoop Member

Katsura, No offense taken here. I'm no expert in this game, having started the JM obsession only five years ago. I will say that as I thought about it, my limited knowledge of what a witches broom looks like gave me pause for questioning this.

Thing is, the nursery where I purchased this seems to have a very good reputation both with quality of plants and service to the customer. In fact, they're in your home state(Wildwood). I have had nothing but positive dealings with them and they have been very receptive to correcting this situation.

I'll go outside today and try to bet some good photos from a couple of angles as well as a close-up of the foliage. Thanks for your input.

McHoop

11. McHoop

McHoop Member

Additional photos of the overall tree and foliage close up.....

McHoop

Attached Files:

12. katsura

McHoop,
    None of us are experts - only the trees.
    Your "limited knowledge" was right - it is not a witches broom, so your instincts are good.
    Ricardo who owns Wildwood (which is 30 miles from my house) will correct it as you say.
    All of us get misnamed trees and some of us don't know it - I'm sure I have more in my collection
    than I would want to know. Like Brian said above yours is a lovely red dissectum. I am not good
    at naming each cultivar from a picture so I can't tell you which one.
    Enjoy your trees (both of them) when you get your Chantilly Lace which is a great cultivar and
    give it some sun so it reddens up. Good choice. Be well.