Nutrients for Tomatoes, Corn, Peppers and Beans

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by SBinNW, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

This weekend I reclaimed a plot of soil that had been underneath a bed of lava rock for probably about the last 30 years (the lady who owned the house before us was really into low maintenance). We removed the lava rock and I took a sample of the soil underneath (about 4 inches down). Test results were: pH 6-6.5, Nitrogen - non existent, Phosphorus - non existent and Potash - adequate. As we were hoping to use this bed for planting tomatoes, corn, peppers, beans and an assortment of herbs later this spring/summer, we added about 2 inches of mushroom litter to the soil and tilled it in. I haven't taken another soil sample as of yet (ran out of time), but I'm hoping that it is much improved in the N and P department since last time.

My concern now is that since corn, tomatoes and peppers are all really heavy feeders will this addition of mushroom litter be sufficient to fulfill their nutrient requirements? I hope to grow pole beans with the corn in the hope that the bean mycorrhizae will enrich the soil with some nitrogen, but will that be enough? And for the tomatoes and peppers too?

I would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions for fertilizing the soil before, during and after I transplant my tomatoes and peppers and sow my corn seeds. Thanks in advance!

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I'm no expert but I'm sure that grass clippings would help increase the Nitrogen levels and they should be easy to come by. They'll also add an abundance of fibre (humus??) to the soil as well.

3. galiano

galiano Active Member

I would add a fair whack of 5-10-10 fertilizer as I don't think you'll have much success with what you've done so far.

4. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

Thank you both for such quick replies.

I still haven't had a chance to re-test the soil, but I think I have developed my plan of attack. From now until my seedlings are big enough to transplant, I'll throw some grass clippings on the plot (thanks for the tip Anne). When I'm ready to plant, I'll mix a bunch of fertilizer into the holes/furrows. Is 5-10-10 typically the magic number for vegetables? Also, should I till-in the grass clippings before planting or just keep them on top as mulch?

5. galiano

galiano Active Member

I suggest that just before planting you mix in 5-10-10, plant your tomatoes and then add the grass clippings as a mulch. Adding a handful of lime in the bottom of the hole gives the tomatoes the calcium they need helping against the dreaded blossom end rot. Good luck.

6. SBinNW

SBinNW Member

I am indeed worried about the dreaded blossom end rot, but am hesitant to add lime since my soil pH is pretty perfect for tomatoes (6-6.5). Would bone meal add the calcium without increasing pH? On the other hand, I hear bone meal is seriously slow releasing and may not benefit my tomatoes this year. Perhaps a tomato-specific liquid fertilizer would be better for supplying the necessary calcium right away?